or Connect

Posts by ruscal

my sharpening skills are ok, so i'm not too worried about that side of things.   plus i'm figuring a Yanagi would be easier to sharpen than the thin stainless knives i currently have - am i wrong about that?   there's such a strong bevel on one side of a Yanagi that don't you just make that bevel flat on the stone when you're sharpening? does that make sense? with my gyuto, petty and suji, i'm basically having to guess what angle i'm sharpening at, but i was...
hey guys n gals   i wanna get a Yanagi knife and learn to cut my own sushi   but i know nothing about Yanagi's   and especially i know nothing about what steel to go for. i'm sure it will need to be a carbon knife, and i've only ever had stainless knives, so i also need to learn how to look after this type of steel as well.   would probably lean towards a masamoto or a konosuke, but open to anything.   i'm thinking probably either a 240mm or a 270mm....
hey aj   i'm a home cook too. got a bunch of masamoto, and a few konosuke, an ashi, a couple of macs and a global.   for your new knife i'd recommend the following:  * watch what you're cutting on. i use either an end grain chopping board or polyethylene board. DO NOT cut on metal, or glass, or stone (caught my flat mate once cutting up pizza on a pizza stone with one of my masamotos)  * watch what you're cutting. like others have said avoid meat with bones. i...
    hey dave   yup - thats the thing i was talking about. i have no idea what i'd use those cucumber wafers for, but they sure do look pretty. :)   so whats the difference between an usuba and a nakiri? is an usaba a single beveled knive and a nakiri is a double beveled knife? or is it to do with the tip of the knife being a different shape?    
i wouldn't have thought to say i prefer the suji to a gyuto. i guess i would say that i prefer the santoku to a gyuto, but i'm not really sure why. maybe its cause the size of it means i can work more stuff on a chopping board. like i made a potato dauphinoise the other day and managed to slice all of the potatoes on the same board using the santoku without transferring any of them anywhere else to make extra room.i don't do a massive amount with the suji but when i do use...
hahah - mano i think you might be right    to be honest the knives i couldn't live without would be the masamoto 240 suji, 180 santoku, 150 petty and the MAC 270 bread knife   the japanese handle stuff i kinda only use for "special occasion" kinda cooking. so i consider those 4 knives a totally different kinda thing.   i use all the other knives but not nearly as much as those first 4 knives
the magnetic blocks? yeah i like 'em. the only problem with these ones is they have magnets at set distances apart. which is great for making your knives look pretty cause they're a similar distance apart. but its a bit scary when you have a couple of big knives right next to each other...   if i was starting over i think i'd buy one from these guys:   http://benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html    
ok, from top left going clockwise....   Konosuke stainless 270mm Suji with ebony octagonal handle, 2mm silver spacer & water buffalo horn  Ashi 61HRC stainless 210mm Petty with ebony octagonal handle, 3mm silver spacer & water buffalo horn  Konosuke stainless 150mm Petty with ebony octagonal handle, 2mm silver spacer & water buffalo horn  Konosuke stainless 240mm Gyuto with ebony octagonal handle, 2mm silver spacer & water buffalo horn  Masamoto VG 240mm...
sorry - picture fixed now. didn't see it had error'ed on me.
well its been real fun learning about knives, trying different types of knives, and, of course, buying knives. but i think i might finally have every knife i might possibly need.