or Connect

Posts by ruscal

Wagstaff - yes i think mine will basically be a gesshin ginga as well - at least it'll have the same steel. if i was in the US i'd probably have bought from JKI, but i'm in the UK and didn't want to pay 2 sets of import charges... so here's a question for you: what do you use your 210mm petty for? i can see the logic in having it, but curious as to someone's actual experience using it. you use it along with a gyuto right? can you give any examples of how you use the 2...
so... i'm still waiting for my new konosuke's to be delivered (240mm gyuto & 150mm petty)   and while i was waiting i ordered another knife. a 210mm petty from ashi hamano. i went for the 61HRC stainless option. again with ebony and a silver ring.   i really need to stop spending money on knives soon...
ebony handle with the silver ring - yup soon as Kosuke sends me pics i'll upload em here
had a good month at work pay wise so i just ordered some new knives from Konosuke...   i went for the 240mm gyuto and the 150mm petty   i know i wanted a longer suji than the 270mm i ordered, but this was my first suji. i have a couple of gyutos and a few pettys so i'm more confident about what size i want for these.   can't wait to use these new knives. bit of a wait though - i need to wait 3-4 weeks for them to make the handles as they're currently out of...
nice to meet a fellow sufferer..!    tbh i'm not sure i'm ready to handle the jump from 240mm gyuto to 270mm gyuto yet... the 240 still feels plenty big enough...   i'm gonna try real hard to live with these knives for a few months before spending a shed load more money trying to guess what i may or may not like 6 months from now...   chances of that happening? slim. i've already emailed Kosuke to get some prices... dang it!  
that kinda makes sense - i don't speak japanese so taking your word on which characters sound like what. but the yo-handle wa-handle choice is in the box to the left of the box where it says "yang"   here's a link to the website: http://www.konosuke-sakai.com/knife.html   they have deba's in the "japanese style" knife section. but this "yang" is in the western style knife section...   maybe its a deba with a 2-sided bevel..?
the balance point is about 1cm above the handle. so if you pinch the blade with your thumb and forefinger when you cut, then you're roughly pinching the balance point  
google chrome translated the japanese text to read "yang" - not sure type of knife this is? is this a Deba...?   
when i first started exploring real knowledge on kitchen knives the longest knife i had was a 16cm global cooks knife.   one of my first "proper" purchases was to get a 240mm western handled gyuto. at first it seemed massive. but studying little clips on youtube i started to understand some technique and pretty soon found i was using the whole blade for veggie prep and suddenly didn't notice the size as being so outrageous.   i guess i was expecting the suji to...
suji finally made it past customs today!! only bad thing... get the distinct feeling that maybe i should have got a 300mm... this 270mm feels like maybe its a teensy bit short...