or Connect

Posts by ruscal

thanks chris!   i will definately post pics once it arrives. that'll probably take 2 or 3 weeks though... a week for them to send it.. a few days for it to get to the uk... and then a week of it sitting in customs before i can pay the import duties and they release it for delivery...   that j-shaped handle K looks pretty cool on the custom knife that your recommended seller Jon at Japanese Knife Imports had made up with Konosuke - did you see it? here's a...
lol. 10 degrees... that makes more sense than you guessing 10 inches....    weirdly if the bevel looks about 10 degrees then i might have a bit of a curved compound bevel going on. cause i found i had to stick at the same angle on the 1000 grit, but once i got onto the 5000 grit i noticed something new. this was because whereas on the 1000 grit i got a pretty consistent sound/feel of grind regardless of angle, on the 5000 grit i found that after a few strokes at the...
its a 240mm which is approx 9.5 inches   thanks for the tip on letting the use guide the angle - i think i can handle that! i still don't have a good system for getting rid of excess burr though so i find steeling almost always helps make the blade "true"   the compound bevel thing is a bit out of my league at the moment... to be honest i don't really know what angle i'm sharpening to at the moment...   still - its great that you think it looks about right!...
so i sharpened the Masamoto VG 240mm gyuto today....   i got some new sharpening stones from Korin-France: Peacock Stone Fixer, Mizuyama Medium #1000 & Mizuyama Fine Stone #5000   its the first time i've used a 5000 grit stone. and i love it! you can actually feel the edge getting smoother as you push it up and down the stone. tres cool!   anyway, looking for your advice. does this look like a good amount of bevel? or too skinny?  
Quote: Originally Posted by boar_d_laze My suggestion is to find out how much the ebony options weigh compared to an ordinary ho wood octagon with a horn ferrule.  If you make the knife too back-heavy it will become hard to point and a great deal more awkward for both trimming and chopping.   why would the ebony be significantly heavier than the ho wood? that doesn't make sense to me...?     Quote: Originally Posted by ChrisBelgium I remember...
lol. that was interesting..!!!      i'm still here. and i have ordered a suji!!   i actually got in touch with Konosuke-Sakai directly and have been emailing back and forth with a very nice chap called Kosuke. at least I think he's a chap. he could be a chapette. apologies Kosuke-san for not knowing which you really are!!   anyway, my new pal Kosuke explained that Konosuke can add a custom handle. see pic below for the options and...
Thanks again BDL!   So looks like i have 3 choices:   1) get a great Suji with a wa-handle (like the Konusuke Swedish Stainless or HD) and have it re-handled. cost wise i'm looking at approx $215-285 plus the cost of rehandling. i like the idea of this but i have no idea where to look or who to speak to or what it would cost to arrange the re-handling. do you have any recommends for people or companies that do this? ideally i'm looking for a black resin handle...
BDL   do you mean that a "wa" (Japanese style) handle generally means that you get a thinner blade than with a western handle?   if so that is very interesting...   is this the stainless Konosuke that you were referring to(?): http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kowa271.html   i totally respect your opinion on the Konusuke, but if i was going to get a wa handle then i'd love to find a black handled one so that it matched a little bit with what i already have....
thanks for the advice BDL i received the Mac paring and Masamoto gyuto last week and made a few dishes over the weekend so i'd have a chance to play with them a little based on the knifes i have so far here's what i've gathered so far about what i do and dont like: * i should stick with stainless steel. i can be a little lazy with my clean up. plus sometimes i work abroad for periods of time and i dont want to worry about having to oil and store my knives. * i prefer...
thanks for the advice BDL   i'll contact Korin France and see what they can do. will let you know.