or Connect

Posts by austincook

The last time I tried using a standard spray bottle, all that came out was a dribbly stream (yes, I checked to make sure I had it on "spray"). I did some reading and apparently the holes are too fine for viscous liquids like oil. Unfortunately, all the bottles I found that are designed for oil had really bad reviews. I would love to find a spray bottle for oil that actually works.
Hi everyone, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have a good friend in his 40's who wants to become a professional butcher and open his own deli. He knows a guy that might take him on as an apprentice if he first learns the basics, but that guy doesn't know of any schools. I don't know of any, either. All the people I know, my suppliers and such, came up through the ranks much in the same way most of us have. Anyway, I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone knows...
I'm making a batch of kimchi at home right now, and just had the thought when I saw a container of yoghurt in the fridge. I'm especially curious because I used Huy Fong Foods' Chili-Garlic instead of doing it from scratch, and I'm guessing it's pasteurized. I don't know if that will make a difference in the fermentation, but I'm thinking maybe I could add a spoon of yogurt to be on the safe side. They both use varieties of Lactobacillus bacteria (lactic acid), albeit...
Oh yeah, very cool app. Also, in regards to your comment about preferring your laptop, that's exactly why I'm leaning towards the Asus tablet. For me, having to unfold my laptop and find a place to set it is a hassle, but I admit that a smartphone screen can be cramped, even my 4.5" HTC. A tablet seems like the perfect compromise.
I'm sorry, too, guys. It's also been a long day here, even though it was supposed to be my day off. foodpump: I can certainly see why the imperial measuring would be frustrating for you, since you're in Canada. Not so much of an issue here, of course. I usually "guesstimate" my measurements anyway, except when baking. That's pretty much the Southern way of cooking, lol. I think my main reason for liking CI is that they don't take advertising, so I tend to trust their...
Wow, are Friday nights "Troll Night" on ChefTalk, or are you really that stupid that you actually thought that I was implying a smartphone is appropriate to working on the line? I'm pretty sure I was specific about smartphones being a management tool. Thanks for crapping up my thread, guys. I apologize for mentioning a technology that was invented after 1900. Next time I find a nifty contraption in the Sears & Roebuck catalog, I'll send you a telegram. Mods, feel free to...
You forgot to tell me to get off your lawn. ;-) But seriously, I think what you're referring to applies more to children using smartphones as toys, not adults using them for work. I'm 47 and I've found that my HTC smartphone has enhanced my ability to do business significantly. If I'm out getting supplies and need to look something up, I don't have to run home to my computer. It has saved me a lot of time, money, and hassle. Having access to CI's content customized for...
Hi everyone, I've been trying to get people to help with this on another site. I thought other members here might also be interested. I hope that's okay. Cooks Illustrated has a really cool free app for the iPhone, but has not (yet) provided an Android version. If you are an Android user who is also a fan of Cooks Illustrated / America's Test Kitchen, please send them an email asking for an Android version: appsupport[at]americastestkitchen[dot]com (This is their...
Thanks again!
Hello Professor Raichlen! I'm in Austin, TX and I'm a lifelong lover of Southern BBQ, be it Texas or KC beef brisket, Memphis ribs, or NC pulled pork. It's all good to me! In fact, what I really love most about cooking with wood, fire and smoke is how no matter what part of the world you go to, some form of grilling or smoking is going to be there. It's one of those things we all have in common. Which leads me to my question. As proud as I am of the age-old notion that...