or Connect

Posts by veronporter

I look at the cake tester as a second opinion. He should still be touching them and when he feels they're ready, give 'em a poke. Then, eventually when he realizes he's dead on every time anyway, he can drop the tester. When learning it's better safe than sorry, especially with expensive cuts.
YouTube search "Jacques pepin omelette". Thank me later.
I don't understand how a cake tester could possibly ever be "confusing". This should be his best friend right now. I'd try and get him to wrap his head around that one.
Surprised at how archaic/irrelevant some of these cooking tests are. In my experience most good/modern restaurants either give you a protein and open access to the walk-in's/pantry and ask you to create a dish or give you a box full of ingredients and ask you to make something. I can't see how this isn't the best cooking test you could implement.       Also, that written test... wow. I'm not even gonna comment on that...
Cigarettes, red bull/coffee, buying cookbooks, NFL, eating food(on my days off of course), working/adrenaline. That's it, really.   I'm lucky to have quit the drugs/drinking early in my career(4 years ago at 25) which unsurprisingly, is when my "career" really began.
 What's the commute time like? Do the trains run all night long? How much does it cost to ride the train? What part of Connecticut are you in and what is the cost of living like there? This is intriguing to me as I'm planning on moving to NYC in the next few months. Might be an option worth looking into.
Yeah, my current chef soaks it in an ice bath with 1% salt content for about 20 minutes or so.
That's cute. Try working in professional kitchens for years on end, working with intricate recipes from multiple restaurants(not to mention pastry work) and see how you feel about that...As for on the job recipe books; I love the small moleskin address books. Fits in my back pocket and has tabs with each letter of the alphabet on the right side of the page. No frantic searching for recipes, everything is organized/alphabetized and easy to find. Love it!
We've had great success doing them confit in duck fat, pulling the bones out, cooling, vacuum sealing to store and deep frying to order. Delicious! Also an extremely quick pick up time.
Don't come to Seattle to learn... it's almost as expensive as NYC (although you can find reasonable rent Just outside the city) but more importantly; There aren't many good restaurants at all. Our food scene is extremely overrated by outsiders. I'd say Portland is far superior yet still quite a ways behind NYC, Chicago & San Fransisco/Napa Valley.