or Connect

Posts by Joe B

I think the easiest/fastest way to peel that membrane is using a tomato corer. This makes quick work as you just scrape a few of the bones and it comes off, usually in one piece.
I am always tossing around ideas for restaurant concepts. My favorite one has got to be a burger joint. Nothing crazy just simple ingredients but all house made - curing/smoking bacon, baking bread, fresh cut fries, etc.   In sake of consistency and ease of training, I think a flat top is the piece of equipment for a burger place. But alas, something about the grill marks and charring of a flame grilled that just screams summer and outdoors to make it appealing but...
So skin the bellies before you smoke them. Simmer them in a 400 hotel pan on the flat top or in the oven at 350 while other stuff is in there. SImmer for a few hours or until you can almost pinch through the fat and skin with nominal pressure.   Remove skins and cool on rack, once cooled, scrape with a boning knife until you reach the bare skin with no fat. The skin has texture similar to a basketball when scraped sufficiently. At this point you can experiment with...
I think duck breasts are great pan roasted to get that crispy skin but a nice medium.   Confit is definitely the way to go for legs, that being said. I think if you wanted to keep with the same "spirit" of old school preserving. Get some instacure and robocoupe that with your regular salt and herbs and press it to preserve it more in the fashion of bacon. Preserved foods, whether it be confit, smoked, dried, or any other method, a little goes a long way. Like eating...
I hate that the employee bathroom stays dirty, not like grungy, but just people not throwing the paper towels in the trash. Like you wouldn't do that at home.   When servers do any sidework, there are always little messes that they leave behind for us to clean up. Usually dressings on the counter that i just scrubbed.   It sucks when you have cheap owners and the equipment is not maintained at proper intervals and the employees don't have the proper tools to do...
Hello everyone, i'm joe. I have worked in restaurants since 2000, and recently graduated culinary school. Now i'm just trying to grind real hard in a kitchen to make student loan payments. I'm "Chef de Cuisine" for lack of better term at my job. It's fun. I get to make awesome food and teach other people proper techniques and recipes. That is the most rewarding part about it.  I'm hoping to learn new tricks from people on doing things in a professional kitchen...