or Connect

Posts by Wyandotte

Yes, the right type of vinegar is a good medicine if not taken in too large a qty.  I am not so sure about the cheap, regular commercial vinegar, though.  You would have to get the opinion of those who may know about these things, i.e., practitioners of nondrug medicine, etc.    In  the book Chinese System of Food Cures, they discuss vinegar at some length and its various uses (how the vinegar is combined with other substances) in regaining health.  One story:   Once,...
Yes, food should always taste good.  But on the topic of fermentation, it's not either/or.  The product can taste good and be healthful, too. 
I've made "sauerkraut" from giant kohlrabi, and it was v. nice.  I didn't grow any giant kohlrabi this year, but I'd encourage any gardener here to take a crack at it.  In general, "giant" anything is coarse, tasteless, troublesome, etc.  Giant Kohlrabi is the exception.  It is better than small kohlrabi in all respects.  A Perfect Vegetable.
Absolutely correct.  Some people don't realize that just because it's a "pickle" doesn't mean lacto-fermentation.  From my viewpoint (a health consideration), pickling with vinegar, sugar, boil-processing, etc. is not something I want to do.  Of course, nonfermented pickles can be right tasty, not disagreeing with that.  They are nice once in a while, but for me, it's not what our family grew up with.  Ma never used sugar, vinegar or boiling water.
Picklling salt doesn't have to be "kosher" to be iodine- and additive-free, by the way.  The only reason pickling salt is kosher is that virtually everything on the supermarket shelves is kosher, not because it's somehow better, purer, or healthier.  I am old enough to recall when the only kosherized food was in a special, small, section of the store.  Now, you can't get anything else.   Chefwriter, what brand of crock is it that you got such a deal on?  Harsch, by any...
I made 19 quarts of cuc pickles in August.  Containg:  cucs/soft water/salt/currant leaves/garlic/pepper balls or bayleaf/dill seedtops or feathery dill leaves.  That's it.  Unbelievably tasty.    The jars are staying in the refrigerator until the coldroom gets cold enough. I never pour hot water on my pickles or use vinegar.  Ghastly!   What's with this "kosher" business?  Why do you have to use kosherized salt or kosher anything?    What do y'all think of...
If you ask me, there's no perfect tomato press/juicer/deseeder.
"...peel and into the food mill."   Mike 9, what sort of food mill do you use for your toms?  The kind you attach to the counter, they're usually plastic, and it has a handle like a meat grinder - they are called a European Tomato Press;  or the horizontal "rotary" type?  I have one of those, it looks like...
Yes, I know.  Chickens, at least during their laying periods,  are not low-protein animals like cows, who can do fine on grass or hay thanx to their 4 stomachs.   Sometimes my hens leap on eggs like it's children with ice cream, and other times they don't get too excited.   My hens are pretty old, laying for their 4th year, and still look pretty good.  Thanks for your information in any case!
Sauteed escarole with garlic & Hungarian red peppers (everything from the garden) & an egg sandwich on white bread.  Eggs from our chickens.  Too much mayo; choked it down & fed the leftovers back to the chickens.  Yes, chickens LOVE eggs.