or Connect

Posts by Wyandotte

I love that device, Kuan!!  Is that a person cackling in the background or what...  Anyway, I should think it would take some getting used to.  I sense that some skill is needed.
You know - to repair & sharpen it to the Nth degree.
Me, I'd take it to a maker of samurai swords.
Hope you will soon be able to have all the utensils and supplies you need, Lemon Shelly.  Moving into a new place is a pain sometimes, isn't it.   About stirring, I can't answer your question as regards BettyR's yellow cake recipe with its requirement for an "electric mixer",  but I can tell you this: I've made dozens of dishes where the instructions tell you you need some kind of electric mechanized equipment for stirring/kneading, etc., none which I own.  I use a whisk...
Interesting observation on your part about using "expensive" cheese.  The recipe I used stresses the importance of using the best cheese you can and don't use "cheap" cheese! 
Lots o' fun reading this!  Nice photos, too.  I don't have a digital camera, but I am sure you know what this looks like:   Moi, I made good ol' baked Macaroni & Cheese using Fanny Farmer's recipe where you really cook the sauce for a long time.  My first try.  The family wolfed it down. 
Types of Cinnamon   I thought that cinnamon was just cinnamon until I went to mountainroseherbs.com to order some in bulk. Their herbs aren't irradiated.   It turns out that what I ordered, and got, was Sweet Cinnamon (from Sri Lanka, I think). It is more delicate compared to the kind you usually buy in the store, which is usually Cassia Cinnamon (harsh, hot flavor), which grows in Indonesia, among other places I guess.   I've come to love the Sweet Cinnamon, now...
That jelly in the photo of the opening post sure is nice & clear.  I could never get mine to look like that.  Oh, well.   I never made jellies & jams until I discovered Pomona's Pectin many years ago, which I was glad to see someone here referred to.   To make the fruit jell w/out Pomona's, you would have to use huge quantities sugar, which makes a sugar-tasting preserve, not a fruit-tasting one. Pomona's Pectin is gift from God, as far as I'm concerned.   Someone gave...
Many months later, I wish to thank all of you who responded to my question.
I don't know much about Italian cooking, but I do recall reading an article in a magazine many years ago by an American Italian woman, who said that back in Italy they weren't obsessed with cheese, tomatoes and pasta, which is what many folks think Italian cuisine is all about.  I recall that this article included a bunch of 'authentic' Italian recipes that contained absolutely none of these 3 things.