or Connect

Posts by Wyandotte

Quote: People probably asked this same question after new fangled egg beaters came out in the 1850's   My fave old tool is a "Mouli-Shredder".  Made in France.  Seems to be tin.  It has 3 disks of different sizes.  Given to me in 1988 by a woman born in 1900 and much worn (both the device and the woman). Still functions.  Anybody takes that from me is doomed.  Yes, indeed, it beats putting whole nuts in a thick brown paper bag and then rolling  the bag with a rolling pin. ...
 I agree, but if you are preparing 10 different dishes for a holiday meal, well, getting the kids to operate some little grating machine is not a bad idea.  In general, though, if you are good with a knife, your last paragraph is oh-so-true.    They in general are not worth the trouble, except for situation previously noted. Re garlic, I see those thingies in the supermarket where you put the garlic inside and kind of twist it around.  I mean, really.  What happened to...
I really enjoyed reading all your replies and hearing of your experiences.    I think I might use the stand mixer for pizza dough, and nothing else mechanized other than a pasta machine.   Do you mean a hand cranked pasta machine?  I never saw that as high tech and indeed, I use one, an oldie. Maybe I'm not so pure after all.  I remember how much work it was for my mother to roll out these giant sheets of egg noodle dough, then put them on the bed to dry out a bit,...
Ah, a real perfectionist!  That's the way to go. Thanks for all your comments and help.
I may have asked this years ago, but I still wonder about what other people do.   Is there anyone here (excluding the professionals) who prefers to make pastries, cakes, cookies,  etc. using old fashioned tools, ie, no electric mixer of any kind; and only an old fashioned eggbeater?  Cuz that's me.  I cream the butter and sugar and flour the way I did 40 years ago at home as a kid,  with nothing more than a wooden spoon.   I have a hand held electric mixer but just...
Yes, indeed, Foodpump,  your info was helpful.  For one thing, I did not know that the outer casing had little flavor.  I thought maybe it was an important part of the crushed spice.    Which brings me to this:  in the big spice packing factories, how can we know if they remove the shells prior to crushing the seeds?  I can't see them going to the trouble you do, and which I myself am willing to take a crack at, also.
Many thanx for your info.   The only mortar & pestle I have ever used is a suribachi (Japanese type ridged bowl), but it is too large to be useful with a few  cardamom seeds.   Can you recommend a suitable mortar & pestle? 
Hi.  I bought a jar of (organically grown) cardamom pods and would like to have the cardamom in the form of a powder, for baking as well as making tea.   It's not clear to me if I should put the entire pods (which contain little seeds) into my little grinder, or if I have to manually open the pods, extract the seeds, and then put the seeds in for grinding.    Does anyone know?  Grazie.  Mille grazie.
"By who exactly?" you ask.  By tradition.  By countless generations of people who prepare food, and who knew how to prepare it to extract maximum nutrition + good taste.   Eating coarse raw greens probably indicates a reversion to animal desires. Trouble is, we don't have 4 stomachs. If the raw kale tasted so good, why does your wife have to add all those things to get you to find it delicious?  I daresay the feta cheese covers up the bad taste of the kale.
 Kale and certain other greens were never, ever intended to be eaten raw or even lightly cooked.  It's one of those things that since Day One humans have eaten thoroughly cooked.  Indeed, I do not know if this is true or not, but a health writer said that, not until kale and similar tough greens have lost their bright green colour do the minerals become assimilable by our bodies. FWIW.  The bad taste of barely-cooked kale is surely an indicator of this.