or Connect

Posts by Lbartosh

Hi Steve and Group: A tomato corer is similar in appearnace to a melon baller or parisian scoop.  But it is shallow, small in diameter (perhaps a 1/3 of inch across) and has serations around the edge. I must admit I usually just do the paper towel thing.  Sometimes, i will use a paring knife to get things started.  Most of the time the membrane will come off in one piece. Everyones mileage will vary of course.
Hi Steve and the group: My basic brine is 1 gal water, 1 c sugar and 1/2 c kosher salt.  I add flavorings like orange or lemon or garlic or a premade seasoning mix like jerk seasoning (or any combination of herbs and spices that I wish to use to create a specific flavor profile) to the brine while it is cooling to allow the flavors to develop while the brine is cooling. I like the idea of brining shrimp.  Will need to play with that one.  Thanks
Hi Steve and the Group: The only trick with it is time.  Leaving it on the smoker for 4 to 5 hours or longer.  It will actually take on a smoked color.  Regular salt shaker type salt takes on the smoke flavor and color quicker.  Because of this, I will sometimes smoke regular salt and mix it in with kosher salt and allow the flavors to marry. Thanks for all your great tips.
I agree that it is great for Steve to comment on so many questions this holiday weekend.  I grilled some big bone in pork chops week over charcoal with mesquite wood chunks after allowing the chops to marinate with a wet jerk rub for 45 minutes.  Yumm!
This is a little off the topic but, one of the things you can do to add moistness and flavor to poultry and pork is to brine it.  The brine can flavored with various herbs or spice mixtures or even citrus.  Soak the pork/poultry in the brine in the refrgerator, dry it off and cook.  Adds great flavor and moistness.
Steve is right.  Indirect over high heat.
I routinely smoke paprika, kosher salt and peeled onions cut in half.  You should also be able to smoke garlic cloves.  I have read of people infusine oils with smoke by putting shallow contianers of oil in the smokers.  Even bones will take smoke.  The bones and onions do great things for items like pinto or white beans. I have also smoked turkey necks to use in things like beans or greans.
I have an offset firebox smoker.  It has a grate that sits over the firebox.  This arrangement gives me the ability to use it as a charcoal grill or as a smoker.  It is big, 4 foot in length or so.  But it does allow me to do both things if desired.  I will admit that I usually use one of two small barrel "smokers" as a charcoal grill most of the time.  Using the big smoker as a grill uses too much charcoal and really needs more food to cook than I usually am doing.
I think it makes significant difference in the tenderness of the finished product.