or Connect

Posts by Wagstaff

I know Mac suggests using a rollsharp; they're better knives in the first place.  I'm sure the rollsharp doesn't bring the knife to its potential, but there are professional cooks who swear by it being good enough (Pete, who posts here, being one).   I know this from reading, not experience with the rollsharp, however.  I have used Mac knives (not my own) which I loved, but they were maintained by other means.   Are Tojiros similar? I don't know -- and I don't...
Threads drift... I think we're good (all the earlier posts are here, and the natural terminal point to the original -- till ruscal gets his knives or some pics! -- has been reached). But yeah, PM is fine for guitar talk.   Yes, japanese knives are blade-heavy; they're light, though, and balance is not a goal.   I sort of think of balance is a bit like speed in guitar playing.  It's sold to people as important because you can TELL that much without having to know...
Yeah, if I were to look at any of them, I'd be looking at the 5" petty.  And generally I use a pinch, or modified on a shorter knife perhaps; I'm not super picky about the feel of a handle, actually.  I dislike the way those handles *look* but that's not a huge detriment.  In part they look like they're trying too hard!
I'm sure HBeing meant centimeters not inches...   I have no input on the various pull-through sharpeners, though, sadly. I haven't used any of these.
What do you play, Joost?   That's getting too far afield.  OK... part of the appeal of the ebony is tactile sensation, which you have with a fingerboard.  The rosewood is not touching your hands (except left hand thumb) and there it's presumably lacquered and not providing the same sort of relationship. So ebony to touch... even if the rosewood is prettier (maybe or maybe not).  But looking back over the posts to check out the relative weight... for knives I'd go with the...
BDL -- and ANYONE else who might have reason to opine -- do you have a take on the relative hardness of the various BoardSmith wood choices?   i.e., theoretically it seems that the softer woods would be easier on knife edges (so, say, walnut better than maple); on the other hand, I don't know if this matters in any practical way or if other factors (grain density) override or some such.  Also, on another forum (Fred's, maybe?) someone was asking about his knife being...
Having originally learned much about Japanese knifes from BDL, or at least adopted BDL's prejudices as a J-Knife newb, I steered clear of the san-mai knives (a la the Hiromoto), too; but certainly there are plenty of obsessives on dedicated knife forums who really like them.  So I don't advocate for the devil, I just point that out.  (Meanwhile, I still steer clear, even when they're rehandled and otherwise super-pimped-out by some some real experts).   The Shun just...
It really is... I always loved ebony.  (Played classical guitar for a long time and love the fingerboards!); I like lighter more though.  Knives I'm lusting after -- a couple of lines have burnt chestnut, which I think is really pretty indeed.   Matching ebony-handles on konosuke HD... you'll have better AND prettier knives than anyone you know, probably!
Oooohh... seduced by the Dark Side... (just kidding, I don't have an EdgePro).   Try Dave Smith i.e., www.TheBoardSMITH.com  for cutting boards.    I have a very pretty end-grain board that is not quite as nice in that it's thinner (which you might like) and the edge-grain squares are smaller, which means more glue (which is not as gentle on edges as the wood).  Still, nice boards and pretty well priced, by Marty Jones at jonescuttingboards.com (as well as his ebay store...
Boos makes good boards; but you have an edge-grain board (which is also fine for most folks, but getting an end-grain will likely make more of a difference than switching to, say, walnut etc.). I don't know if dealing with good end-grain boards it really matters much to go "softer" (i.e., cherry or walnut instead of hard maple).  I sort of hope not just for price point. (I tried to ask Dave @ Boardsmith and he really didn't have much to tell me on the topic).   Also, I...