or Connect

Posts by Wagstaff

Did you go ebony again? Pics when you can!  You really "traded up".  I'm envious.
You're a good reader of BDL (and those of us who don't re-invent the wheel on this forum often are!)   And it seems you have the questions/answers rather under control. But I'll again attempt to tell you what you already know, so maybe it'll be reassuring:    - "an hour later come back in the kitchen to realize you forgot to clean your knife. Is this big of a deal? Has it started to rust / form heavy patina? If so, can you fix it, or do you have to buy a new...
Looking at a petty from Korin... you really don't have all that many choices.  I bet you're right that the Masamoto HC is the best in its price range; for a little less you might still look at the Togiharu Moly and the Togiharu Inox.  DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying you should prefer them, or that they are the great bargain they once were, but if you want a stainless comparison and you're *there* in the store anyway, have look.  They are a bit less money.    If reports of...
The Gesshin Ginga are most definitely "lasers" at least (!). I have a 210mm "wa-petty" (suji), and I can't get over how much I love it.  I was talked out of a laser as a first wa-gyuto by the vendor... but it's on my short-list for a next knife.
LOL@me then! And therein is the problem with relying on brands without specific knowledge.  I've only handled the Suisins at JKI.  So wa-handled, and honyaki or Dreamcraft.  Amazing (and turbo-pricey) knives.  I suppose had I checked the pricing at Korin, I might have guessed that these Suisin were a different kettle of fish.   And on the Masamoto -- are you as excited by their non-gyutos? Seems that takes away some of the concern for ideal profile.... or do you think...
Are you looking only at the western-handled knives at this point?   I ask because I'm not sure, in the case of the Suisin, if the geometry is the same.  Probably is, but I'm not sure.   And if it is... the Suisin knives will be lasers.  The Masamoto and Togiharu are not "thick" knives by a long shot, but they're not lasers.  And if the Suisin indeed are as thin as I think, they will be somewhat less robust.  I think it's absolutely worth having such a thin knife,...
I"m not a pro... but if it helps, I still agree with you.   Hardness is not irrelevant, but it's not reliable (i.e., reported hardness isn't even reliable, let alone the fact that it's measuring indentation, which is only indirectly related to forces on an edge).  And it's hardly the only consideration.  In many cases, harder steel is more difficult to sharpen (but not all -- not the only consideration, there, either).  It should, all else being equal (it never is)...
Actually that adds a lot! (I don't know if that much more nuance might actually BE disagreement, but if it is, I'm wrong.  Or closer to wrong. NO problem admitting that).   Still, Weinstein is less guilty of "rock chopping" -- or less exaggeratedly so -- than most, and between his videos and the CFG "guillotine and glide" article is where I learned what to practice.  But mostly I'm curious, BDL -- can you "go there" for my benefit, with the "grip and action modified...
Another crack at this -- I think you answered your own question.  If you often find yourself wanting something between the chef's and parer, a petty is what you got.  This is not answering whether you should bother with a flexible filet knife, though.   "Petty" is a pretty broad term, by the way.  Western knives get called "utility knives" and even there -- a "small" chef's knife is a taller bladed petty, a short slicer is a petty...  there are reasons to prefer one...
With a jig, you won't have to learn to eliminate wobble as you move the knife.  The jig does it for you.  You'll still have to learn "less pressure" -- like, a LOT less than you think, if you're like most folks, but in just about every other way you'll spend about 15 minutes learning what might take a few hours, minimum, to learn on freehand stones.   There are advantages to freehanding, though, and it's really fun to learn.  That and you'll be able to get a...