or Connect

Posts by Wagstaff

The Mac might just be a perfect end-point for most folks, rather than just a gateway.  Unless you have the knife-disease, in which case whatever you get is a gateway or sorts.  (Though you're probably right, that it might be a particularly "good" one).    I don't mean to speak for BDL, but my guess from reading past posts on this forum is that the Mac is good for most everybody and less so for him in that he prioritizes an ideal profile more than most folks.  And Masamoto...
BDL posts for BDL, so take that more seroiusly than this post (besides, I've been travelling, and waking up to expensive beers, which makes me talkative).   But here's a first stab at some of your questions anyway:   - sharpening freehand: if you're gong to do it, even without devoting a lot of time, just DO it.  There are parts you'll get "wrong" or "wrong-ish", but the learning curve you're worried about probably isn't *that* steep.  That is, you won't sharpen as well...
LOTS of yin- from the girlfriend or wife who at least sometimes shares the cooking with you.  No need for balancing with a yin- knife!
First, I'm posting because I'm posting -- completely unqualified for your question for several reasons.  (Stop reading here, and no offense taken!)   From what I've read, and as little as I cook meats... a petty knife that is rigid is better for most of us than a true western-profile boning knife.    But you may be a chef who really is comfortable with a western-style boning knife, and I should shut up (?)   If the former, the K-Sab makes a lot of sense.  Or...
Hi BDL -- apart from meats... where are you on supremely hard winter squashes?  i.e., some people say to use a heavy knife you can lean on (and I've used -- primarily -- a Wusthof classic 10" as a "chef-de-chef"); and some people say it's much better to use the laser, so long as you don't twist the knife. I dunno... a Cimiter makes some sort of sense to me in theory.  But just not banging a laser on the board, a very thin gyuto makes just as much sense.  I'm currently...
Having used a 10" Western chef's knife of one stripe or other before "converting" (mostly)... I don't see the 270mm gyuto as feeling "long" at all.  I have a 240mm CarboNext (which I both like and don't, for reasons beyond its length -- but I now wish was a 270mm knife). Moving to a 270mm (non-laser, even!) Yoshihiro, though, the extra length seems flat out better, even on a 12" deep board, in most every regard.  And a 270mm "laser" a la a Konosuke would "feel" even...
Funniest translations ever! I can't decide which is best.  To me, maybe "Cowpox" wins!
yes, knife-aholic.  Me too (and it's kind of dumb for me, given that I'd do better to learn to cook better than worry about the next knife).  Of course can't afford to truly indulge.  But I will say... my second gyuto was a 270mm.  So I'll encourage your addiction by saying, especially with your response to the new suji, you might want a 270mm instead of another 240mm gyuto. It doesn't make a much of a difference as from 210 to 240, or from 270 to 300, perhaps (as BDL...
It totally is... though I haven't given up the parer completely.  Still core strawberries the old way (like I do that every day...)
Happy to take the blame, for one!  And even though you've talked about a 6" slicer as a petty... it's YOUR fault I'm using a 210mm suji as one (Ok, 75% your fault).  The books all seem to say "chef's and parer".  Which is where I started. Not no mo'.