or Connect

Posts by Wagstaff

It sure is a beautiful knife.  Why are you thinking it seems short? (Already?) -- are you using it as a slicer on ham or roast beef or... are you using as an all-around "chef's knife"?   I have a short "suji" (210mm) which is my petty knife.  I love it as much as any kitchen knife I've ever used.  I have been made curious about a 300mm suji because of BDL's posts; I'm wondering if you're actually finding the 270 short already, or just thinking it might be.   And...
+1.  Glad you're going this direction -- these knives will not become obsolete any time soon.  Unless you have a good reason, don't get a Chef's that 8" or smaller.  9" or 10" will make you happier in the long run; and in the fairly short run, even.   BDL has posted various recommendations re: sharpening.  I think if you're at all interested in learning to free-hand on a stones, you can get a rollsharp for the Mac knives meantime, till you learn to sharpen.  Unless I'm...
I kinda ignored the marching steak-knives thing myself... though I think it's manageable with any of the suggested (or suggested-for-consideration) knives.   I'm out, since this is a foreign set of overarching considerations.  If I were a homeowner I might begin to undersand...
I hate to tell you to spend more money... but if you can buy or borrow or steal or "browse" a copy of Chad Ward's book, 'An Edge in the Kitchen', I'd suggest it.  One of the things he covers is  how the treatment of steel has improved to the point that there isn't really an advantage to forged vs. stamped.  This was not always the case, and some of the old-advice (must be full-tang, must be forged....) is just vestigial.   That said, there may be a big difference in...
Congratulations on the new Masamoto.  I might still buy one of those down the road.  Out of "want", more than "need" at least!   I think there's very little argument for a Global or Shun if you're making the choice among those.  So you'll most likely be thrilled!   Let us know how the EdgePro experience goes.  I just went right for free-handing, myself, and was quickly able to get better edges than I'd experienced before, but there's still a learning curve, and...
Also just maybe the opposite of what your thought was on stainless vs. carbon... In general carbon will be easier to sharpen and I think (as a beginner, still) easier to learn on.  I've sharpened both and developed a basic confidence over the course of a long-afternoon's lesson. So I could be wrong.  But so far I think the carbon wins as the object on which to improve sharpening skills.  This in addition to it taking a generally better edge anyway.  (Retaining a better...
Stone holders are not that "important" in the big picture, but may be for convenience.  At least, my choice was a stone holder which came with a tray to catch the swarf.  There's a tiny bit of splashing maybe, but it's so much less messy that it means I don't feel like I have to put off sharpening till I'm in the mood to rig other methods of collecting the run-off or just willing to clean up a mess.   Before that I was willing to just make a mess of a tile...
I'm glad you executed a good solution for the pin problem -- any less would have been disappointing!   I haven't actually held a knife with those rounded handles.  Seems like a great feature.  Again, congrats!
Hi Curtis, again --   in some cases more specific, and certainly less wordy, you'll get some information relevant to your opening questions on this very recent thread, too: http://www.cheftalk.com/forum/thread/66966/new-line-cook-needs-knife-help-i-know-this-topic-has-been-covered-before#post_359795  (at this moment it's just a few posts down on this forum).
You've figured out where to drill a hole by now, I presume? (Sorry -- I just saw this post here after having seen it replied to elsewhere).  I'm a bit envious -- great knife.  I'm less envious than I might be because my real lust has your knife surrounded.  I'd love the 300mm (or 270mm)  and the 210mm versions of that knife, in particular.   Is the handle a true octagonal handle, or is that one rounded at the bottom? It looks octagonal from the picture, but that may...