or Connect

Posts by Wagstaff

I've seen that mixture of fear and a grin on people who are using a sharp knife for the first time in memory.  It's really fun, and I'm trying to remember how my facial muscles felt when I had that experience.
On yo- vs. wa- handles -- I haven't heard that one was inherently better, either.   I think generally the wa- will be lighter, and balance will be on the blade-heavy side. And the fit and finish is more reliable on Euro knives with Euro handles, but.... I don't think you need to worry about that AT ALL on something like the Gesshin Ginga, or maybe most of the others you're considering.  (That would be something to bring up with Jon when you talk).
Me too, to both points.  But I was there already from past posts.... still, MUCH enjoyed reading the whole thing put together that way; and this time am having the expense side of it driven home.  Not so much $ for the good knife, but the whole shebang.  I'm nuts enough to lose sleep over wanting to learn the usuba.  I don't know if I'm nuts enough to DO it though! At least not ... now.... (backing away slowly...)
I was editing as you were quoting.  Not that this made me clearer. You said "yes you can".  Which seemed to me to be a response to my wondering if I could.  But I wondered if I could learn the usuba. And you seemed to be saying "yes you can" about the deba.   Hope that clears it up. Thanks, Chris -- I think you're clear all the way.  I'm guilty of creating the confusion (and suffering from it for no good reason.  I could write better if I weren't so damned ADD...
The "maybe I could someday" thought was all about the usuba.  That's *not* what's honestly not hard, right? Cause.... nightmare, and all!   And I sort of want to start cooking fish just to use a deba.  But ... no. I have stronger, countervailing reasons for not cooking fish. So the usuba nightmare won't leave me alone! (Fortunately, I'm not read to spend the bucks at this point, and am wanting to practice both cutting with and sharpening gyutos and such for a good...
Jon has posted some very instructive videos on use of a deba -- concentrating on showing proper technique rather than showing off speed (and elsewhere he's made a pretty good case for why they really are better than filet knives and such, at least for some kinds of fish prep).  And there is a fantastic Japanese Knife Society video on proper use of usuba....   which made me think of Chris' pasts posts, and also instantly gave rise to the thought, "I could do that.......
At the moment, Chris? And it was such a long road to get to the point that it could work for you at this moment! I'm impressed.  I periodically think I want an usuba, and to put in the time to master it. But... that's lusting after result.  I'm still learning to cut with "regular knives" :-)   Your posts about the usuba, by the way, have the simultaneous effects of making me want to "go that route" even more and want to turn 180-degrees from it and  walk away very...
Length is directly related to profile, of course.  A circular blade could be uselessly long (this is a theoretical extreme, obviously). And the western vs. eastern was really meant primarily as a proxy for weight vs. lightness.   I'd also suggest having a look at the Weinstein video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UelvV3PagQ  At about 1:22 forward, on point.   There's another section of the video where he shows them side by side to make much the same point,...
BDL already gave reasons -- also, I'd add what's not a reason so much as an encouragement that one "usual reason" for wanting a shorter knife is weight or unwieldiness of a larger one; moving to Japanese knives (and such), there are many that are lighter and more agile. And a more "French" profile is easier to point than your Henckels, I would think.   For many tip-down tasks, you don't have to lift the handle as high or move the knife as much, too (Norman...
And i claimed ot be an aspiring geek.... (if I had more money, I'd be a true geek).... at least in the sense originally mentioned, because given an opening, I'd push someone toward a 10" knife, too. Or at least something longer than 8".  However, didn't see an opening in the OP.  Someone clearly says they want an 8" knife, I believe them.