or Connect

Posts by MangoChutney

Okay, thanks.  I was trying to find more uses for my kefir whey.  Obviously soaking beans is not a good one.
On the centralbean.com website it says "Any acidic ingredients called for must be added at the specified time."  Here it is said that adding baking soda will shorten the required soaking time.  Am I correct in concluding that soaking in an acidic medium will lengthen the required soaking time?  I am asking because my bean soup that is usually cooked to melt-in-the-mouth tenderness in four hours was only al dente at that time today.  The only change I made, to my...
I think it needs something to set the pasta apart from the filling.  Pot stickers are pale brown filling in pasta, dipped in brown sauce. The contrast in that combination is between the pasta and the sauce.  The filling isn't really visible most of the time.  The top layer of my pasta was colored by rubbing soy sauce over it.  Possibly I could do that for all of the pasta layers, but it might get too salty then.  Perhaps grated carrot in the filling would give it a more...
Yesterday I got my new meat grinder that I had been waiting on to try to make steamed pot stickers.  I made up some pasta dough and left it to refrigerate overnight.  This morning I ground the contents for the pot stickers, and then started trying to roll out the wrappers with my Atlas.  My pasta recipe just didn't make thin enough dough to suit me for this, so instead I made lasagne noodles.  I spiced the filling to make up for having no dipping sauce.  The result might...
Just for kicks, I looked up the two words in an unabridged Webster's Dictionary.  Sometimes two words with closely related meanings come to English from different languages, but both "broth" and "stock" came from German.    Webster's dictionary gave 26 definitions for the noun "stock".  The cooking type of stock is listed as a subheading under "something out of which other things are made", and reads as "water in which meat, fish, etc. has been boiled, used as a base...
Make-up in my kitchen?  No way for me.  I'm lucky to be wearing clothing, let alone make-up.  I do tie my hair back, and if it's hot, I use a clasp to pin up the tied-back hair so it's off my neck.  In the summer I wear rubber flip-flops and panties, and a t-shirt if it's not sweat-dripping hot.  In the coldest part of winter I add the bottoms of long underwear to the outfit, and sometimes a pair of thick warm socks.  The only shortcoming is potential harm from hot...
I came here because someone on The Fresh Loaf thought this looked like a cooking forum with some activity. It wasn't me who asked the question, but I followed the link and decided it looks interesting here. I cook because I like to eat good food, and can't afford to eat at good restaurants. I like many types of food. Sometimes I follow recipes. Sometimes the result looks like the picture. Sometimes it tastes right but looks a little funny. Sometimes I just put things...
According to the USA PANS website, you should follow the normal recipe instructions.  I personally put coconut oil on mine before baking, and they work fine.  No problem with cleanup and no accumulation of anything.