or Connect

Posts by jedimind

if you let yourself get that upset you're making the problem bigger than it is. ask your chef what you can do to make it better and move on without wasting time or effort.
when the market crashed in the late 80's/early 90's didn't we see the same trend towards no table clothes and bistro menus?
i dont want to get too off topic i haven't even seen the original poster for a while, but i wanna run this by everybody; who wears wedding rings at work? who takes them off for the shift and if you do where/how do you keep them secure?   i'm gonna be poppin the question soon! :p
talk to the owners about your skills, strengths and weaknesses and let them help you with your short term goals that will help build longer term goals. also you describe your action as running around, head cutoff... i never do that at work no matter how much chaos is happening around me. rushing never works out, it leads to mistakes which leads to reifires which slows you down more than if you just take your time and work methodically.   slow is smooth smooth is...
pinky when you're worked through your time at this place, find another chef who has or appreciates the body mods. i work out here in cali and i think 3 outta 5 of my sous or exec chefs have had tattoos, and even the ones that don't haven't once bothered me about mine. i seriously doubt anybody ive worked with looked at them twice. also no corporate kitchens for me thanks..did it once, never again. to some of the people in this thread: can you keep it on topic and not...
excuse me sir, but i fancy myself a hardcore gamer and quite a mercenary in any kitchen, and i'm an xbox convert :p   but on the topic at hand, i think a lot of people around my age are interested in doing what they need to keep their jobs, not get any better at them. to me every day is a chance to push the boundaries of what we did the day before; get it done faster, cleaner, better, with less waste. why? because we're fu**ing brutal, that's why...but that doesn't seem...
honestly if i have a budget i'll just ask the server about prices i don't see listed...buyer beware... for the story about the wine, i feel you pain; i think he should have offered something within a few euro of you're original selection, or presented you with more than one alternative, noting which wines reflected the originals price and the originals taste profiles. he might have given you the one with the closest match in style and taste, but he should keep in mind...
 i agree with moranP, you should wash some dishes, peel potatoes, and see how you'll spend 14-16 hours a day as a professional chef, then decide if that's something you want to pay money to learn how to do.
in addition to anthony bourdain's kitchen confidential. my chef gave it to me when i told him i was thinking of dropping out, and it kept me hangin in there.
you got the right idea, show up as early as you possibly can (after lunch clears out, when you're done with school/another job, whatever). i used to work one or two hours off the clock at a hard kitchen for around a year before i started taking on some sous-like responsibilities, like making prep and order lists and training new cooks.     ive felt like this too before, but after a while you will likely build your working relationship with eachother and find respect..you...