or Connect

Posts by Nicholas Beebe

I don't use Shaptons, but my guess is that the DMT XXC will be the best thing for flattening for you. You shouldn't have to worry about your flattener being too course, and the XXC will get your stones flat faster than the XC. It will cost you more, though.  
+1   The thing that matters most is work ethic. At your age, it's most important that you are humble, want to learn, and work really, really hard. You want to convince your potential employer that you are going to work harder than any other applicants, and be able to learn the things they do at that restaurant, the way that they do it at that restaurant. They probably won't care much that you know who Chef So-and-so is, or that you have Globals.
Usually, if I am butter poaching something, I will try to find a pan that is barely big enough to fit the thing I'm going to poach to minimize butter wasteage. The great thing about doing it with lobster is that the butter infuses with lobster flavor, so you can then use the butter to make a sauce. Don't toss it, make something amazing with it! If you use beurre monte then it becomes really easy to do a finicky sauce like a hollandaise or beurre blanc. What you have...
Almost everywhere that I have worked, the broiler is the easiest station when you're busy. Scaling up isn't that big of a deal. The hardest part is keeping track of what you owe, and when. I found that it helps a lot to keep your grill organized. It's always dependent on where the hotspots are, but I like to keep everything of a given temp in either a region, or a certain row or column of the grill. You'll also find your job much easier if you can keep your communication...
  I forgot about this. BDL's probably right that they aren't really corroded. Your best bet is still to use the gentlest stuff you have first.  
Small spots are usually pretty easy to take off. Start by trying to get them off with the least abrasive things and move up. I will usually start by scrubbing rusted knives with a green scrub pad. If it's not doing the job, I add some baking soda. Bar Keeper's Friend or Comet also seem to do the job, but are a little more abrasive than baking soda. All of these will leave some fine scratching on the knife, but in my experience it is not very noticeable, and in some cases...
A sharp knife. There's nothing that will give you a better product or that is faster.  
Not just nuttier. When you clarify butter, you are removing the water and solids, which contribute to both flavor and texture. If the butter tastes nutty after clarifying, then it has been clarified at too high of a temperature, making beurre noisette or ghee.
Absolutely. Beurre monte, in my experience, tends to be more tolerant to higher heats than if it has flavored liquids in it (beurre blanc). If you keep an eye on the temperature of your butter, holding it constant while the fish is cooking, the fish will cook all the way through at exactly that temperature. Think butter sous vide. You may run into trouble with some particular items, like white fish, which may want to fall apart once they are cooked, so you would have to...
"Do you think good managers would have had experience in the back of house world?"   Yes.