or Connect

Posts by JohnR

Squeezil, I have the Rosewood handle version.. and used it in a Professional setting.. It's like the F-150 of knives, not flashy but it can get you out to dinner and also bring home a load of dirt. You can increase it's performance some by thinning the edge and creating a 15/20 degree double bevel edge. You can read up some in Chad Ward's online tutorial.http://forums.egullet.org/topic/26036-knife-maintenance-and-sharpening/
"I'm pretty sure my grip is fine on the fibrox. My middle finger is wrapped around the thinner section of the handle before the handle expands to meet the heel of the blade, with my thumb and fore finger pinching the blade. The only way it would possibly hit the boards is if I were to shift my grip further down? So my middle finger would be touching the heel."   ---   Sounds about right, you modified (as I do) your Pinch Grip by moving your fingers back a little...
BDL, I may be off base here but by finger guard I am referring to the part of the handle (plastic handle knives) near the blade that protrudes down.   Victorinox   Dexter Russell   With a Chef's knife and using a Pinch Grip that "finger guard" shortens the clearance between the handle and the board, enough so that ones fingers touch the board when chopping unless the grip is modified.   I used both 8 inch and 10 inch Chef's knifes today at work. No doubt...
My hands are more medium sized. Do you use a Pinch Grip ? if you do, that plastic handle finger guard (on the 8 in. knife) does not allow enough clearance for the fingers. See the pic in post 11 in the link. There is ample clearance of the middle finger with the knife in the pic, but with the 8 inch Chef's Victorinox plastic handle, there is no middle finger clearance.   This condition also exists on other 8 inch Chef's knives like the Dexter/Russell.
"I'm currently learning my knife skills, and currently using a 8" Victorinox Forschner with a Fibrox handle that I like the grip but it feels scratchy to me."   I don't think that's a good knife to learn with. I find with that particular knife there is not enough blade height (or handle too big) near the handle to use a Pinch Grip. The result is fingers banging against the cutting board when attempting to chop/rock chop.   This does not occur with the 10 inch...
"Where are the knives made? Do you know who makes them?"   Update International   Distributed in LA and New Jersey. The area rep number  in SoCal is (800) 747-7124.   I'm driving by a Restaurant Supply store today so I'll stop by and see what the package says.   Edit: package of both varietes states they are made in China, still would be interested to know what the DIN 4110 is intended to be.   I had the 8 inch version but traded it to another cook...
Some similar discussions: http://www.cheftalk.com/t/63898/yet-another-sharpening-question-specific-questions-about-starter-stone-sets   http://www.cheftalk.com/t/71987/stone-confused-matching-stone-to-knife-recommendations-appreciated   A Norton IB-8 with an additional finer stone would work but I prefer 3 inch wide stones as described in my post in the 2nd link above.   A review of the IB-8 is here:...
I have the Paring knife (forged line) and the serrated bread knife (plastic handle line). Those descriptions are printed on each blade.   specific descriptions are: DIN4110 German High Carbon Stainless   while the other (plastic handle) states: German Steel  X50 Cr Mo V15   I didn't confirm this claim, but the response at this Post states that DIN is a German standard.   "DIN standards are developed by Deutsches Institut für Normung in Germany. All German...
Update International has a line of forged knives that look OK and don't have that thick bolster to get in the way of sharpening. The steel material is the same or similar as most German/Euro knives. The plastic handle line is X50CrMoV15 The forged line is DIN 4110   The 10 in Chef's knife ranges from $15-$20.I don't know about the hardening process but at this price point you can buy two for $40 or less. Also at Amazon   At about $40 is Kai AUS8 steel knives.  
Keep in mind US and JIS grit sizes differ.   I started with stones>belt sander>back to stones.   I have mostly Euro quality knives and one VG-10 knife. The VG-10 is a Petty which I don't use much so my kit is slanted towards the Euro steel. I have no experience with water stones.   My kit is as follows; Norton India Course  8x3x1/2 $20~ Norton India Fine   8x3x1/2  $20~  Razor Edge Systems Ultra Fine 8x3x1 $40~   Followed by white stropping compound...