or Connect

Posts by Mikeb

IMO the entire point of matchstick apples, or vegetable brunoise as a garnish is to add a slight crunch and raw flavour to whatever dish you're doing. If at all possible I'd have someone cut them à la minute, and with a knife as well (even the best mandoline will tear them somewhat with the julienne attachment). If you really need to keep them, then use acidulated water, it will work. And don't core the apples when you're cutting them, you can hold on to the core as...
This is why it's better to buy from local producers. We buy from a producer that has a farm minutes away from the city, all organic, picked with care. The people who pick the lettuces are the same people who deliver it to our back door.
5 mother sauces are: - Espagnole - of which demi-glace is a derivative - Velouté - most cream sauces are based off this, though not necessarily - Hollandaise - of which Bearnaise sauce is a derivative, as well as Choron sauce, etc... - Béchamel - of which Mornay sauce is a derivative - Tomato sauce Nowadays however, we really don't use any mother sauces. We make glace de viande, many different emulsions, foams, purées, etc... In my entire career I've only...
I'll add a few more. Pierre Gagnaire, Marc Veyrat, Michel Bras, Ferran Adria, Heston Blumenthal.... It might be easier to list the ones who did go to school, would probably be a shorter list.
From what I've seen the school you've got on your résumé doesn't matter much, if at all. The restaurants you've worked at are what chefs like to see. Reference letters are better. Once you get into an interview, the résumé doesn't really matter anymore, they will drill you on your knowledge, then you will work a trial shift and they'll see if you can walk the walk. By this stage of the interview process it doesn't matter what school you went to, all that matters is...
Just about any cooking job sucks. I've worked over 15 kitchens, only 2 were producing quality food. A few were good to work at but the food sucked. Seems most people who stay in the kitchen are morons (except those who are also owners).... ****, the chef(s) I'm working with are morons, I'm wondering why on earth I even accepted the job (oh yeah, I get choice hours and good pay for not much work). The best places to work are almost always small kitchens where people...
Not a chance. The French were cooking sous-vide before most people even knew what the word meant... The term "Molecular Gastronomy" was originally coined by Hervé This (a Frenchman) and Nicholas Kurti (Hungarian). Pierre Gagnaire is as creative and technical as any chef in the world, and still pushing the boundaries of cuisine everyday... France still has more top-level restaurants than anywhere else in the world. To say that the French are behind the times is...
ph10 by Pierre Hermé. It's THE French pastry book. Written in French only though...
The sous-chef does whatever the executive chef requires of him. If the exec wants his sous-chef working at a desk, that's what he does. I'll echo what others have said. Quit worrying about others and worry about yourself, straiten up your attitude. This means doing exactly what your boss wants you to do, period. Ask questions, but NEVER second-guess people.
Reminds me of my last job. I had a tiny cutting board, and had knives lined up on it that were hanging over my inserts of food (we cut alot of stuff to-order, for example fresh truffles). I never once cut myself, but the chef used to joke that I intentionally had my knives there so others couldn't steal my MEP (after he nearly cut himself trying to do just that). Anyhow people work best when their area is set up the way they like to work, anyone interferes with this and...