or Connect

Posts by cakes

Thank you all for the time you took to respond. I ended up telling her I could not do it for a 50% discount but left it open ended for a counter offer. None came.   Live and learn. I spent 2 hours talking to her about food, then a tour of her home. I think the advice about wowing her is something I might try next time with a sample tasting.                                  
Hello all, I would first like to thank you for all of the good stories and advice I have found here. I developed cataracts and was house bound and half blind for about 6 weeks. I spent my time cutting and pasting the forum discussions into word where I upped and bolded the font, allowing me to see.   Now my question. I am a newbie personel chef. Today I had a consultation with a potential client. Organic, lactose intolerant, very low oil, sugar substitute, only wants...
Thr woman has the morals of an alley cat. I can't believe she was chosen as a spokesperson. After watching the videos, she said in affect, I cook it but I don't eat it. Moderation is the key. 30 days out of 365. I can only guess that her success is the image. Sweet old southern charm. She made 10M last year.   I saw one show where she took a glazed doughnut, topped with a sausage patty, fried egg, bacon and then another glazed doughnut. That would clog your arteries...
I will be making a check of the kitchen. I contacted the hotel and have permission to inspect. I want to make sure I have all of the necessary equipment. The menu would not work with a two burner hot plate.
Thank you BDL. I certainly have next to no experience compared to Chef Pete. But that is why I want to personal chef. Many years of family cooking and coming from a family of foodies. This forum is helping me tremendously with presenting dishes (just used to family style), pricing, and trends in food. This occasion is in a hotel with a kitchen. I will be checking it out to make sure I have the necessary equipment. I won't go anywhere without my knives and will check for...
Thank you both for the replies. The menu has been decided by the client it is not to be questioned. I was wondering if I should serve the lady more embellished dishes since she does not have dietary restrictions or serve the same for both?   Steak and potatoes in a ramekin, I like that idea. Hard to give up my parsley, I think it adds a visual interest if nothing else.   I  had a feeling I was under pricing so I am glad to get a recommendation. The cost of...
The menu (as specifed by the client) Romaine lettuce salad with balsamic vinaigarette Seared scallops Fillet mignon Cheesy Potatoes Creme Brulee   My questions are:   How do I make a nice presentation of just steak and potatoes and the creme brulee? The client has recently undergone a gastric by pass and does not want sauteed mushrooms or bernaise. No raspberries on the creme brulee. I have found some scallop shells which I think will be visually...
I have done some posting and have found this forum to be very helpful.   To introduce myself, my name is Patty (cakes screen name). I am an aspring personal chef. I haven't had any luck yet but have gotten alot of experienced suggestions in this forum. Love of food, home cooking, and classes  Will post my next question in the food and discussion forum.   Thank you all for your help.   Cakes
Koukouvagia,   Your menu sounds much more elegant and balanced than mine. I knew that planning was important but didn't consider starting the day before. That would make braising possible and reduce the stress level. I have received so much valuable information on this forum and am very grateful for the expertise.   Cakes
Pete : I saw your post after I posted mine. I lost a job for a dinner party because of my request to see the kitchen beforehand. This was a birthday party dinner for an 80 year old with congestive heart failure who really missed her trips to a restaurant. When I asked for lessons learned for not getting the job I was told that another chef didn't require a look see and that they wanted it to be a surprise. I spent a couple of hours coming up with a menu that was 500mg...