or Connect

Posts by carpenter

Check out Vollrath's Tribute line of three ply stainless.  I can't beat them enough.
Thanks for all the replies.  It ain't easy--at least for me.  I think all of the recommendations would work well.    I live near a Chinatown and have been planning on picking up some sort of cleaver to play around with.  Just not yet.   The German chef's knife seems like the most economical ($150.ish) and maybe even the most practical however, I wonder about the redundancy issue with my 270mm gyuto?  How does Wusthof, Messermeister and F. Dick compare to each...
Hello,   This grillin' season I got into grilling butterflied chickens under a brick.  I cut the backbone out with shears and after cooking I split the breastbone and cut each breast cross wise in two using a variety of the wrong knives.  I have a 270mm gyuto that I don't dare use.   What type of knife would you recommend to use?  I would assume that a 10" German type chef's knife would be the answer, but is there another type of knife or cleaver that would work well...
Well, right now it's hanging over my mantle.
And no, I've not used it yet.  It is just too pretty.
Well, it took a few days to recuperate from all this.  Excuse me while I get some ketchup for the crow I'm about to eat.   I gave much thought on how I could save face in this reply.  I don't think I can nor am I deserving of such a rescue.  My calls and email were for the right reason but presented in the wrong way.   First off, I'm mad.  Mad at myself mostly.  Mad at Mr. Smith, like a kid waiting for his Red Ryder BB Gun.  Instead of shooting my eye out, I cut off my...
It is all I can do to be objective with my encounter with Mr. Smith.  Consider this before doing business with this man.   April 2, I ordered a "Carolina slab" which was featured on his home page.  After three weeks I called and politely asked about my board.  He replied with a litany of excuses.  Simple question, I just wanted to get an idea of when I'll receive my board.  Towards mid may I called again.  I reminded him that he said it would be mid may.  Again, stories...
Plan ahead.  I ordered a maple board April 2.  It is June 1 and I'm still waiting.  I ordered it for my wife's birthday which is now a month past.
How often will you be using the knife?  For me a bread knife isn't the sexiest knife on the rack, nor the most used.  I think the Victorinox knives--although popular--are over rated.  I just replaced a 20 year old 10" Forschener with a 12" Dexter Russel.  I paid $40.  I think those two brands are great but if you want an upgrade then go with a Mac.   I think an 8" is too short, a 10" is pretty much the right size but the 12 sure comes in...
Now if everyone else gets on board we may be able to change things.  Since my last post I've purchased a BonaVita coffee maker and a Kitchen Aid grinder and Kitchen Aid food processor.  I didn't even bother looking at the stuff from Cuisinart.