or Connect

Posts by storandelli

More of a technique than an actual recipe... How I make a Reuben sandwich at my store.   Four or five weeks before I make your sandwich, I chop about 40 pound of cabbage,     salt it, press it and wait patiently while it becomes sauerkraut.     About a week before, I take some chuck tenders and brine them with my pickling spices for five days in the fridge. I then rinse them and gently poach them with more spices for about 3 hours and chill them...
Recipe would be nice and what kind of flour are you using. If it's falling down when you put it in the oven, it's a weak gluten structure, or it's over-proofed, which weakens the gluten structure also. Do you knead it by hand or do you use a mixer for 10 minutes. 10 minutes by hand may not be long enough to develop a strong dough, but 10 minutes in a mixer may over-mix the dough (it will probably be sticky in such a case). There are quit a few variables...weak flour (all...
Germans use juniper berries in quite a few things. I put about a Tbsp. (just crushed with the side of a knife) in a 6lb batch of sauerkraut. I also use them (chopped coarsely) in a chicken salad I do with apples and horseradish. They're very good with duck, goose, any kind of game and relate well with rosemary or caraway. I've never heard of toxic juniper berries, but I guess it could be. The kind I've always used are about the size of a small blueberry and about the...
Heartland Mill http://www.heartlandmill.com/product.html  has some very nice flour including WW pastry flour. I bake a lot of different breads and pastries. I use their flours pretty exclusively unless I need white cake flour, which, as a natural grains mill, they wouldn't carry. I use 10 of their flours in my deli. They ship UPS for small quantities (you can get 5 or 10 lb bags) or freight for larger amounts. The "Turkey" wheat (which doesn't come in a pastry flour) is...