or Connect

Posts by BigOldDog

Cassandra, what you are proposing is to simply set up a basic kitchen for working out of your (mothers) home. People run businesses out of their home and fly under the radar all the time. Do you know how many catering companies and dozens (if not hundreds) of other business types are run out of one’s home????   Many highly successful businesses started out this way and it’s the true entrepreneurial spirit. Keeping your overhead low as you learn how to run your...
For the past 30 years I have cooked just about everything and anything. I spoil my family to extremes with food and have invested years in the kitchen with my passion for food and cooking.     The problem is I’m bored stiff with everything I have cooked in the past and nothing really excites me anymore. Where does one find that kick start when the passion for something they love is lacking.   I’ve always wanted to learn more about French haute cuisine but again,...
"How, exactly, do you equate Hollywood with the public education system?"   foodnfoto, our education system continues to grow our society’s lowest common denominator faster as a percentage than any other segment. Hollywood goes after the lowest common denominator more and more because that’s where the audience is growing. Simplicity entertains simplicity.   I’m not trying to degrade; it’s just being honest and a frustration how even cooking shows these days cater...
What’s really amazing is the serious garbage put out by Hollywood these days and so many still watch this crap. Talk about waste!!! Clearly our notorious education system is still hard at work to dumb down our society.  
I do use Andouille sausage but that’s not the substitute. The recipe calls for two kinds of sausage/ham (Paul Prudhommes I believe) of Andouille and Tasso.   Thanks for the feedback Mr. Pete!
Unless a recipe has serious dollar value (KFC, Coke) I never understood the desire to keep a recipe to oneself. The ability for that recipe to put money in your pocket depends more on your business acumen and desire for success then it does on Noni’s recipe. Colonel Sanders wasn't’t a huge success because of a recipe. He was a success because he built an empire doing the hundreds of other things right along with his recipe. Putting Noni’s recipe out there will likely...
I have my favorite Jambalaya recipe but I have never made it with Tasso. I have always substituted with smoked sausage because I can never find Tasso. I’m considering making my own Tasso but brining a pork butt for a week, making and applying a rub and smoking the butt for 12 hours is a lot of work for one ingredient.   Can anyone tell me if using Tasso instead of smoked sausage in Jambalaya will make a noticeable difference?   Thanks in advance!
If you are spending on a high end kitchen with expensive cabinets and finishes, builder grade or mid grade appliances just doesn’t cut it. If you are building a high end kitchen, you have little choice but to purchase from one of the manufacturers I researched.   I examined this to the ends of the earth and didn’t find a single manufacturer (Wolf/Subzero, Viking, DCS/Fisher & Paykel, Thermador, American, Dacor, Bosch, BlueStar, Miele or Monogram) who didn’t have a...
Chefedb:   I agree the high end residential ranges are not made as well as the commercial units. However, you don't want those commercial units in a residential application. Those commercial ranges put out a ton of BTU's requiring larger gas piping and very high CFM ventilation that’s also designed for large amounts of grease vapors. Most building codes require fire suppression systems above those commercial units also. The building HVAC systems needs to...
Ok all you chefs and cooks out here. Where did I do wrong? I entertained a large number of people and served grilled herbed chicken cutlets as one of the meat dishes a few weeks ago. These were chicken breasts from Sam’s which I used before for large events with no problems.   The chicken breasts this time were huge and I mean huge. I have never seen chicken breasts that large before but it was definitely chicken LOL. I sliced the breasts into cutlets, no pounding...