or Connect

Posts by kumaon

I don't think eggbeaters have lecithin.
I'm not wigged about it, but many people are.  I know how to make mayonnaise from scratch, but this is the fastest way I know to make quite a good mayonnaise, and it has a minimal chance breaking the emulsion.  I usually add a bit of mustard and lemon juice to the Hellman's before adding the oil.
Hellman's, slowly beat in olive oil till thick and glossy - no worry about contaminated raw egg yolks.
I forgot - Madelaine Kamman's When French Women Cook is wonderful. It's available on Amazon.
Elizabeth David's French Regional Cookery and her book on charcutery are good.  Curnonsky's Traditional French Cookery is huge and lots of fun.
Gee, the absolute minimum, hmm.  In very roughly this order: Julia’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking v. 1 & 2 (cooked my way through them); Joy (my mother’s WW2 ed.); Fanny Farmer (grandmother’s);  Julia’s Way to Cook; Kamman’s Making of a Cook, both first and second editions; 1950 Gourmet Cookbook; Elizabeth David’s English Bread and Yeast Cookery; Beard’s American Cookery; Bugialli’s Classic Italian Cuisine; Kennedy’s Art of Mexican Cooking; Beranbaum’s Cake Bible;...