Posts by Colin

The original question was whether it's worth buying a new appliance just in order to grind and make some roasted coffee that has been around "for years."  Koukouvagia has to make that call...   But FWIW coffee is emphatically not like corked wine, which can keep a very long time if stored properly.  OTOH it's certainly less volatile than wine after it's opened, which becomes undrinkable in a few days.   Anyone who googles "coffee staling" can find much more on this...
No "bad" in the sense of botulism or hairy purple mold, but bad in the sense that there won't be much flavor left.  This varies a bit by packaging, as folks have noted, and also by roast.  Light to medium roasts, where you're trying to bring out the flavors of an interesting varietal, start tasting like cardboard in couple of weeks.  Dark roasts keep much of their character for longer. 
Yep.  I'm afraid the beans you've had "for years" need to go in the compost.  It depends, but more than two or three weeks after roasting and they're not gonna be much good.    For just occasional use the $10 whirly-blade grinders work fine, as do mortar/pestles, though both make a lot of dust which is not ideal for a consistent brew.  But unless you're going to switch to grinding regularly, it's not worth the money to buy a serious burr grinder.
Hi Chalkdust:   The cooking school part I can't help with, but academia I kinda know.  First, the depression and procrastination is totally normal!  Writing is hard for everyone.  You have interests, there's lots to read, then you pick research projects that you care about, then they take a lot of time and lead in different directions.  Anyway, It sounds like you're finishing up an undergrad degree.  Aim to get through that, one class at a time, turn in work that is good...
I have the "Progressive International PL8 Mandoline Slicer" from Amazon and have no complaints.
How is lemon plus iron going to create a chemical compound that causes immediate numbness?  Even if you did corrode the pan, iron is pretty harmless and ubiquitous stuff.   ...   There are reports of numbness associated with tulsi, also called "holy basil.". Might also be time to replace the sesame oil.
Hazan's 1992 _Essentials_, p. 131 says: "Because no one can tell you in advance exactly how much flour one needs, the sensible method ... is by hand, which permits you to adjust the proportion of flour as you go along."  Her (literal) rule of thumb: "press your thumb deep into the center of the mass; if it comes out clean, without any sticky matter on it, no more flour is needed."  That's pretty much what I've always done: start with the eggs, and add flour until the dough...
Good grief.  Notice how kpow goes from making huge generalizations about "Indian food," to correctly pointing out that India is a continent with immense internal variation, and then right back to making huge generalizations.     And please, kpow, if you're still reading, abandon stereotypes like "indian bit spicy which does'nt get along with western people." (I've been visiting India for 25 years, and one of my enduring frustrations is people believe I will drop dead if...
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/lessons/yourfirstloaf   This is another good starting point.  There's also lots of videos online, which can be good for getting a sense of how doughs should look at various stages.  You might see if any of the videos at http://www.thefreshloaf.com/keyword/video are interesting.  Some may be a bit esoteric, but you can learn lots just by watching bakers work even if you don't plan on making exactly what they're making.
Couple notes: "roti" is a generic term in India for skillet-made flatbreads and includes a wide variety of different breads, so it's hard to generalize too much.  Puris and parathas are fried...   Chapatis, which is what some folks above are discussing, are made with atta, which is a nice soft tasty low-gluten whole-wheat flour.  Indian stores sell it, and as with any whole wheat flour try to buy it from a place with high sales volume, because it has a little fat content...