Posts by Colin

Hi Chalkdust:   The cooking school part I can't help with, but academia I kinda know.  First, the depression and procrastination is totally normal!  Writing is hard for everyone.  You have interests, there's lots to read, then you pick research projects that you care about, then they take a lot of time and lead in different directions.  Anyway, It sounds like you're finishing up an undergrad degree.  Aim to get through that, one class at a time, turn in work that is good...
I have the "Progressive International PL8 Mandoline Slicer" from Amazon and have no complaints.
How is lemon plus iron going to create a chemical compound that causes immediate numbness?  Even if you did corrode the pan, iron is pretty harmless and ubiquitous stuff.   ...   There are reports of numbness associated with tulsi, also called "holy basil.". Might also be time to replace the sesame oil.
Hazan's 1992 _Essentials_, p. 131 says: "Because no one can tell you in advance exactly how much flour one needs, the sensible method ... is by hand, which permits you to adjust the proportion of flour as you go along."  Her (literal) rule of thumb: "press your thumb deep into the center of the mass; if it comes out clean, without any sticky matter on it, no more flour is needed."  That's pretty much what I've always done: start with the eggs, and add flour until the dough...
Good grief.  Notice how kpow goes from making huge generalizations about "Indian food," to correctly pointing out that India is a continent with immense internal variation, and then right back to making huge generalizations.     And please, kpow, if you're still reading, abandon stereotypes like "indian bit spicy which does'nt get along with western people." (I've been visiting India for 25 years, and one of my enduring frustrations is people believe I will drop dead if...
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/lessons/yourfirstloaf   This is another good starting point.  There's also lots of videos online, which can be good for getting a sense of how doughs should look at various stages.  You might see if any of the videos at http://www.thefreshloaf.com/keyword/video are interesting.  Some may be a bit esoteric, but you can learn lots just by watching bakers work even if you don't plan on making exactly what they're making.
Couple notes: "roti" is a generic term in India for skillet-made flatbreads and includes a wide variety of different breads, so it's hard to generalize too much.  Puris and parathas are fried...   Chapatis, which is what some folks above are discussing, are made with atta, which is a nice soft tasty low-gluten whole-wheat flour.  Indian stores sell it, and as with any whole wheat flour try to buy it from a place with high sales volume, because it has a little fat content...
I have one of the Apex sharpening kits which makes the process pretty easy.  There are videos.  It's still not as easy as an electric sharpener, but on the other hand it's not taking up any counter space.
That's interesting.  In my experience short rises will work for flattish things like lavash crackers, and maybe little rolls, but don't give you the kind of dough development (putting aside flavor) that you want for a more serious loaf.
Ditto!  I've also had success with the recipe in Reinhart's _Bread Baker's Apprentice_ which works along the same lines: a relatively wet dough developed slowly, which gives you a fluffy result.  I don't know what the hydration is in the recipe posted @3, but the method sounds like it will produce a tough bread.  Baking at a higher temperature also helps you end up soft plus crisp, rather than chewy.