or Connect

Posts by Colin

Last night I was looking for ideas for brussels sprouts, and the best treatment I could find on my shelf was in the 1961 Child/Bertolle/Beck _Mastering the Art of French Cooking_.     So here's my question: is there a modern book devoted to *tasty* veg dishes, of the same kind of quality as _Mastering_?  Something that reflects the increasing creativity of restaurant veg dishes over the last decade, and the wider range of veg and veg varieties available?   This...
I've never taken longer than 24 hours in the fridge for the final rise, and it's usually more like 12.  Beyond 16 hours I'd take a peek to be sure the loaf was not over-rising.  (The dough is active in the fridge, it's just a lot slower.)   Yes, I go from fridge to oven immediately.  (The oven is a steamy 450 degrees F, so it's not clear to me why 35 versus 65-75 degrees initial temperature makes much difference as long as the loaf is adequately risen.)  Comes out...
It does the final rise in the fridge.  Make up the full dough, do its initial rise as usual, shape the loaves, cover, and immediately put in the refrigerator.  
Just to chime in, I've had great results retarding the final rise overnight: not only do you get better flavor, but you have more control over timing.  Whenever you feel like it the next day, you get the oven hot and transfer the risen loaves from fridge to oven.  While it's surely possible to over-proof in the fridge it has never happened to me.  8, 16, even 24 hours seems OK.     Everyone who makes bread experiences the impatience Kokopuffs describes.  For me,...
Yes, maybe.  I google recipes too.  But a lot of the recipes on the 'net are horrible.  There are thousands upon thousands of terrible cooks who do not know they are terrible cooks, happily putting up one abomination after another.  I have seen advice that will put you at risk of botulism.  So the 'net only works if you know enough to screen out the dreck.   Are there websites you find reliable?   The advantage of _Joy_, or Marcella Hazan's work, is that...
I had the same response as Butcherman, and gave away my copies of "La Technique" and "La Methode" a few years ago.  Total respect to Pepin, but a lot of this is the kind of detail amateurs don't need.
There are definitely products sold to the baking trade of this kind.  You might look in the King Arthur's catalog.  Maid of Scandinavia used to sell stuff like this.     But I think you're asking for something difficult to impossible, if you want good flavor from a dry powder.  Most of the flavors you specify depend partly on volatile oils and so forth that won't survive being reduced to a dry powder, especially a powder that sits around oxidizing for months.
Exactly.  In a Cadbury's Milk chocolate bar, for example, the dominant thing I taste is sweet condensed milk.  A confection aimed at children.   -   Have to say I find the whole idea of healthy chocolate ... entertaining.  It's nice to have nibs available, though -- I had a great dessert the other week involving nibs and pears, which I have to try to reproduce some time.
How much control would you have, using pressurized gas, over the degree of whipping?  With whipped egg whites, the distinction between soft and stiff peaks is sometimes important.   Bakery-level production of macaroons will use a large electric mixer, no?
This is all in one dish?  Is the stock chicken stock?   The best I could do with this sad list is some sort of potato pancake, maybe thin and folded like a crepe, and a light sauce or glaze for the chicken with the oranges and tiny, tiny amounts of the sugar and syrup.     But really, instead of doing this assignment you should be organizing a protest at your school for simple fresh food.