or Connect

Posts by KnifeSavers

I thing the Dexter Chateaubriand set looks very cool and is very cheap.   http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_122629   Although many chefs look down upon anything Dexter, a Yatagan blade is seldom seen.   You can get a suji or custom that is much better but these take the cake on good looking for me.   I actually have run across several of these type forks and kept several for grilling since they can heft a lot of weight.   Jim
IceMan,   Some place else was mentioned the gear head/hot rod mentality.   Give any good guitar player a tuned guitar he can play you a song. Ask him after how he liked the guitar and there will likely be a lot of nits picked over setup, strings, tone, ergonomics, amp, etc.   Give any good cook a sharp knife they can make a meal. Ask them about the knife and again a lot of nits will get picked.   Gear heads are not just into guitars or cars.   If knives could...
GS I totally agree on your points but as Alex already had a great steel if he only has western knives there is no reason to replace it unless it is damaged. Using any hone riding the precise angle is not going to happen, it is the goal. I've seen many folks run at an obscenely obtuse angle and then I show them, on a flat surface  the angle where their cutting edge really makes contact.   I mentioned a few times getting used honing rods and once cleaned up  there were...
Any honing rod steel or ceramic will destroy edges if used at too obtuse an angle.   The key to honing it to ride the bevel. Make a V of any angle and lay it on a flat surface so the side of the V is in full contact with the flat. That is how your cutting edge needs to slide along the hone using very light pressure like weight of the knife only pressure.   Raise the tip you do nothing. Lower the tip to dig into the hone and you jack it up regardless of material.   I...
Probably an F Dick Multicut like this right? http://www.knifemerchant.com/product.asp?productID=1403 I use one all the time. It is great to maintain an edge but eventually the blade needs to see a stone. Once the steel stops bringing back the cutting performance it is stone time. Jim
+1 to everything GS said on Mac Originals and old knife conditions.   The other big drawback of the Mac Original is when put in a block that handle design leaves a fair bit of exposed blade.    I've gotten many a blade used and gotten burned a few times on E-bay items that were beyond repair. I received a lot of several blades with a Deba that is a total loss with a laundry list of issues.   Rust is the worst offender as it may have severely pitted the metal. I've...
3) You don't know the preference of every "cook with an air of seriousness" (but that is to be expected)   Every serious cook I have ever run into uses a pinch grip on their chef/santoku and the Cutco handle, while ergonomic for some applications on butchers/slicers and some items like ladles and spoons, does not work with a pinch grip on a chef at all.   A local Cutco rep out here at least admits this shortcoming. Foodpump covered it all on hollow grinds.   Jim
I have a mag strip for drying knives with wood handles and depending on weight, geometry, mainly hollow grinds, and or alloys some blades do not stick well. Particularly old Chicago Cutlery had a peculiar grind, the RB10, 61S and 78S come to mind, and don't have a good enough contact patch to hold. Some have said the strip is bad but a carbon steel knife sticks like glue. Jim
While I don't disagree that using a fine stone or a strop is better you have to look at where honing rods come in. The place they rule is meat processing.   You cannot take a blood covered blade to a stone or strop. Meat cutters don't have time to clean sanitize and sharpen a blade, so they have fine steel and use it often.   Once cleaned the blade can go to a stone but during a shift there isn't time for that and a honing rod is perfect. It can be cleaned of gunk...
There is only one proper Granton edge and that is the ones on a true Granton knife. http://www.granton-knives.co.uk/granton_edge_knives.html FWIW I agree with Benuser that for the most part they are a pointless waste. The only ones that are really effective are true Grantons and massive scallops like Glestain does. The skinny ones like that Victorinox have just collect grunge. I pull lots of muck out of kullens and the thinner they are the worse it gets. Jim