or Connect

Posts by KnifeSavers

+1 to everything GS said on Mac Originals and old knife conditions.   The other big drawback of the Mac Original is when put in a block that handle design leaves a fair bit of exposed blade.    I've gotten many a blade used and gotten burned a few times on E-bay items that were beyond repair. I received a lot of several blades with a Deba that is a total loss with a laundry list of issues.   Rust is the worst offender as it may have severely pitted the metal. I've...
3) You don't know the preference of every "cook with an air of seriousness" (but that is to be expected)   Every serious cook I have ever run into uses a pinch grip on their chef/santoku and the Cutco handle, while ergonomic for some applications on butchers/slicers and some items like ladles and spoons, does not work with a pinch grip on a chef at all.   A local Cutco rep out here at least admits this shortcoming. Foodpump covered it all on hollow grinds.   Jim
I have a mag strip for drying knives with wood handles and depending on weight, geometry, mainly hollow grinds, and or alloys some blades do not stick well. Particularly old Chicago Cutlery had a peculiar grind, the RB10, 61S and 78S come to mind, and don't have a good enough contact patch to hold. Some have said the strip is bad but a carbon steel knife sticks like glue. Jim
While I don't disagree that using a fine stone or a strop is better you have to look at where honing rods come in. The place they rule is meat processing.   You cannot take a blood covered blade to a stone or strop. Meat cutters don't have time to clean sanitize and sharpen a blade, so they have fine steel and use it often.   Once cleaned the blade can go to a stone but during a shift there isn't time for that and a honing rod is perfect. It can be cleaned of gunk...
There is only one proper Granton edge and that is the ones on a true Granton knife. http://www.granton-knives.co.uk/granton_edge_knives.html FWIW I agree with Benuser that for the most part they are a pointless waste. The only ones that are really effective are true Grantons and massive scallops like Glestain does. The skinny ones like that Victorinox have just collect grunge. I pull lots of muck out of kullens and the thinner they are the worse it gets. Jim
It was a huge leap in real estate going from 6X2 to 8X3 so I can imagine a 11.5X2.5.   The 90X and 180X. Their instructions said to not use the finer stuff for lapping sharpening stones. I got the 5 pack and have other uses for the finer grits.   Jim
I would if I had bench space for those beasties. ;) I have too many stones and not enough space. Jim
I have these. They come in a nifty rubber footed stand/storage box.   http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Norton-India-Bench-Stone-8-x-3-P23C25.aspx   The grit I got from Lee Valley.   http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,43072&p=59752
S/C = Silicon Carbide. I use loose grit to lap oilstones with which is far faster than wet dry paper. I got a 8"x3"x1/2" India set for Sharpeningsupplies.com and they took a few blades to break in and lose some initial aggressiveness. Jim
Is it clogged or glazed Koko?   I had to lap mine a few months back with S/C grit and a glass plate when it had gotten a bit glazed.   More pressure = more abrasion regardless of media but the question is right pressure for the blade.   Jim