or Connect

Posts by Healnfire

Hi cheflayne,   I would love to explain what I meant in that statement. I am not in the industry and so when I found out the students that were, I picked their brain on what their experiences were. Some are in top restaurants in Miami so I thought that they could just be mentored, but their reaction to that was a disappointing no. The business is so busy, there is only time to catch on to what you see. They said that with the knowledge of vocabulary (many times...
Hello, I am writing this article in hopes that I may help answer questions people have that are considering the culinary arts path. I had a lot of questions at the beginning of my culinary research, but not so much definite answers.  So I will give you what I have found out and will continue to share new truths as they come. I was given some great advice here on ChefTalk and if I didn't, I always got a great perspective. I will be sharing my perspectives and  the...
Hey NREMTP, I am assuming with your forum name your are a paramedic. I am a  paid paramedic and a firefighter in south florida. I am also 46 years old and have started my first semester at Miami Culinary Institute. Being older and working in a high stress job as first responders will make us Ideal for the culinary field. We do not have hang ups of doing dirty work or rookie work. We run on no hours of sleep and we are always able to adapt and over come unforeseen...
Rob,   The videos at stella cullinary are awesome. I have been changing my knife handling and even my chop! I was wondering what are those finger condoms that I have seen on culinary shows called . Where do you purchase them? I was thinking it would be good to have just in case.
Thanx Cheftux! good advice, I will try them all out.  
Hi Rob, Thank you for your quick response. I feel a little like a dork, thinking that you are in my program. I guess there are a lot of culinary programs with the same program or at least the same lingo.  I am just so excited to actually be going to school for something I love to do.  I retired from my first career after putting 19 years in, I have  21 years in my second career  and 10 years in my third career. So, now my fourth career will be the one I wanted the most...
Hey Rob, I am assuming you are going to Miami Dade. I just registered for January. I am taking culinary terminology, food production I and sanitation. I am a full time Firefighter for Miami Dade Fire Rescue, so I have time restraints too. I Like the intro and was wondering if you wouldn't want to do a post for students at Miami Dade? It is such a new culinary school, that there are probably a lot of beginners like me that would like to know what to expect.   Is...
I live in Homestead Florida (two cities before the keys) and just enrolled in the new A.S culinary program at Miami Dade College. I first had my sites on Johnson and Wales, but changed my decision after going to and open house at Miami Dade. What impressed me about the school was that it is a "green" culinary school. It is state of the art with a wine/food theater. You have to go to the website to see the theater. It is impressive. They actually have virtual classes...