or Connect

Posts by duckfat33

I've got their 240mm WS gyuto.   Beautiful knife. Great F&F. Superb geometry. A joy to sharpen. Has become by far my favourite knife. Cannot recommend enough. Comes with a nice saya.
I wouldn't say you 'need' one, but have you considered a nakiri?   There's nothing you couldn't do with a santoku or gyuto, but damn they are good fun to chop vegetables with. I bought the JCK white steel Fu-Rin-Ka-Zan 165mm kuruochi finish nakiri and I have to say it is definitely the most fun knife I use. Super sharp too.    
Ditto on japanesechefknives.com   I live in Oz and got my first batch of knives from this site. Great range, good price and only $7 flat rate shipping.   I just got into this obsession about a year ago. My advice - invest in a good 240mm gyuto, the best you can afford. Learn to sharpen. And don't be intimidated by a traditional japanese wa handle. If you are gripping right, you'll hardly know the difference.   There is a somewhat better range on CKTG, but the...
Can highly recommend the Masamoto KS.   Available on japanesechefknives.com   Carbon steel, wa handle, beautiful steel, fantastic fit & finish. My favourite knife.   Also consider: Konosuke HD Suisin Inox Honyaki Sakai Takayuki Grand Cheff   (The above are all ultra light, ultra sharp lasers, in stainless steel).   For something a bit different, check out Takeda. Ultra light as well, but Aogami super steel (carbon). Rustic kurouchi clad...
OK...."need" is a fairly abstract term when it comes to a knife hobby.   But I am very interested in trying out some new knives. Just don't want to be duplicating. I already have 3 gyutos (Konosuke, Yoshikane, Sakai Yusuke), a cheapish stainless deba, a white steel nakiri and a Masamoto sujihiki. Enjoy using all of them.   My questions are these:   1) Is there any point in trying out a Chinese cleaver, or is it going to be fairly similar to my...
Thanks for the advice, BDL - my sharpening has really been improving.   I've changed to a Bester 500 for initial bevel setting. I agree that the Naniwa SSs can be a little soft. They seem to gouge easy. I also might do a quick run over a DMT XC diamond just to set the intitial bevel for really blunt chipped knives. Haven't read any advice to do this but I find it an easy way to set a bevel on a really damaged edge.   I've been deburring on a wine cork, which...
Another rookie sharpening question (because I think I've drifted the thread below far enough away from its original purpose).   My sharpening is really coming along in leaps and bounds since starting a few weeks ago - it really amazes me.   My kit is 400, 1K and 5K Naniwa SSs, and a leather strop.    My question is about deburring. I've read a lot of different approaches to this, and have sort have put together a hybrid approach of my own. I'm very interested...
Thanks for the advice, BDL.   I have to say that the whole sharpening community is really helpful, and free with advice.   The learning curve on sharpening is extraordinary! I mean, 2 weeks ago I was absolutely fumbling my way through trying to sharpen 2 blunt knives, with each getting about 90 min on the stones without much benefit. This weekend, I sharpened both of them to screamingly sharp (with the bald forearms to prove it) as well as an old santoku and a...
Thanks BDL,   The more guidance the better. I've read a tonne of resources, including Chad Ward's book, and watched a lot of videos on Youtube. But, as you say, everyone has a different system. And gives different advice too!   I seem to be most comfortable with sharpening in sections along the blade. I find I can more reliably hold the angle this way,rather  than sweeping the length of the blade across. The knives I am sharpening are pretty damaged and blunt, so...
I'm a sharpening rookie, just getting into J knives. Now I'm feeling insecure about my choice of set up!   I purchased Naniwa SS in 400, 1000 and 5000, and a DMT XC for flattening. Also a strop with chrom oxide spray.   I'm mostly just trying to get my technique for freehand right on some old blunt SS knives (a Kasumi paring, and a Victorinxc chefs) before I move on to some cheap J knife carbon (a Fujiwara santoku and a Tanaka nakiri). Still struggling a bit, but...