or Connect

Posts by ChefDave11

Cool! Yeah, Manu Chao is grrrrreat working music.  And you especially need it when working in a literal hole-in-the-wall (had a certain charming quality, though) and cleaning out the grease trap at 2am.  But it's sounds even better when working for yourself in a well-designed kitchen!
Welcome. The threads out here that discuss knives are, to say the least, extensive. They also contain, to a certain degree, a fair amount of repetitive info. You may still get some direct, very informative responses from BDL and some other people who really know their stuff, But if I were you, I'd search through the information already out here as it's impressively expansive.
The difference between Law and Cooking/Baking is that one of them you can engage in recreationally and have that aspect very fulfilled.  If you're engaging in Law recreationally, you're probably on the wrong side of it    As an aside, I've been reading recently about the problems young Lawyers are having getting jobs that will help them pay off their crazy loans.  Something to look into... Although going to CSU (I'm hopefully correct in assuming Cleveland State),...
Sooooo....you were making a product you were very happy with a short time ago, but now the quality is inconsistent? It sounds like the recipe and method you were doing was working just fine and all of you were happy. The question is..What changed? Is the person slicing them different?  is he doing them a different thickness?  You need to break down every aspect of the method and look at each one individually.  Something changed - now you just gotta find out what.
"Enjoying making difficult dishes alot" and a career in the culinary arts don't really mesh together.  There's a HUGE expanse of experience and experiences that you're going to go through before you even get a chance to work on "difficult dishes".  You're going to have to do simple dishes over and over again.   Consider the likelihood that you won't make $30K/year for roughly 5 years.  Overworked, underpaid, physical labor in uncomfortable conditions. Social...
Streaming on Last.fm.... Manu Chao
Definitely get the sleep your body needs. I know you're in a rough situation, but the best way through it or out of it is to literally tackle it head-on.  It might sound like the last thing you want to do, but when you can and as much as you can, start getting experience on the line.  I've seen my fair share of dishwashers just hanging out near the line, always watching...And then when one of the cooks needs a hand, he doesn't wait to be asked - he just steps in and...
Personally, I like these the best. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tablecraft-99-10-medium-double-mesh-strainer/4078199.html
Hmmm..how to deal with a young guy who "knows everything".  Hard age.  It's taken me a long time to go from thinking I know everything to actually knowing everything!    Chefedb had some excellent suggestions. Having him comprehend and understand that you're not telling him your opinions on food safety, but rather trying to teach him about the concept of cross-contamination and what the dangers and effects of it could very likely be.  Maybe searching online for...
It's a ton of money, Robin.  And he's not graduating school and getting a $50K/year job.  More likely about 1/2 that. I would highly recommend browsing around ChefTalk as this is a topic that is covered extensively, and you'll get a pretty good sense of what to consider. I will say this; if your son hasn't spent at least a year working full-time in a professional kitchen, I would not not not send him to school. If he has worked for a year, I'd be talking to the...