or Connect

Posts by apinchof

I favor whole wheat pastry flour as a way to add whole grains to baked goods without making them coarse. I've also noticed regular whole wheat has a tendency to make things go stale more quickly than when I use the ww pastry flour.
I call for whole wheat pastry flour in many of the recipes I write. It is a wonderful product, my brand is Bob's Red Mill, and I thought it was widely available. Recently I was in Portland, Oregon (where Bob's Red Mill is located, by the way), and could not find it at a couple of supermarkets I searched. So, my question is this, is whole wheat pastry flour available where you live?
I learned a great scone trick from the Baking with Julia cookbook. Freeze the butter and then grate it (on the coarse side of four sided box grater) into the flour. Works great, makes the mixing quick and ensures the butter makes a flaky scone. Try it! Don't scoff like a friend of mine who loftily said "I will never grate butter." She just doesn't know what she's missing (but I do think of her everytime I make scones!).
I have to chime in with three more unusual suspects. Chervil, shiso and epazote. Maybe you know them already. Chervil is like basil, not worth much dried, but it is such a pretty little plant to grow. Shiso is easy as basil and reminds me of a coleus plant, just gorgous in the garden and tastes a bit like cinnamon basil. I haven't tried growing epazote yet. I understand it is much more intense fresh than what you can get dried. Like most herbs, I suppose.
Avocados. They are the perfect food.
This has turned into a really interesting discussion. I was curious why vegans would want to eat things that looked like chicken and bacon but when no one came along I changed it to HVP and stevia.  On the stevia, I'm interested in the fact that the new processed Tru-via is not really that nice ground herb that we grow in our gardens but a crystallized version that hasn't been tested much. Reminds me of those old sacchrine as good and then evil days. As for making things...
Okay, so we have no vegans out there. How about this? What do you "regular" food people think about prepared products that are made to stand in for real foods? For instance, this new stevia-based Pure Via as a sugar substitute or hydrolyzed vegetable protien (HVP), the center of a recent major recall, that is actually an MSG sub. 
I will second King Arthur and add Riedel glassware.
I would like to know how vegan cooks feel about prepared items like Gardien, enger-G, and New Balance? Do you rely on this sort of product or are you more dedicated to whole foods? And, of course, why?
Chervil would be a good choice. Mints are fairly tolerant of some shade as is parsley. You might also have some fun with gourmet greens like lettuces and arugula. I often grow these in the garage during winter when the light is low and sparce. It's a real treat!