or Connect

Posts by deltadoc

I've spent 50+ years learning to cook. I'm a 280lb guy who loves to eat gourmet.  I make my own stocks per Escoffier, but I'm tellin' ya, no matter how good they taste and smell, there's no way I could eat them without some salt.   6 lousy Lorna Doone cookies contain almost 1000 mg of sodium just by themselves!   Even Jello has sodium in it varying in amount by the flavor selected.   Eat a 2oz hamburger cooked with no salt, lo-salt catsup, lo salt mustard,...
The true secret to controlling diabetes is glucose control.  Insulin is secreted by the B-cells of the pancreas.  Some diabetics secrete very little insulin, and others secret more just not quite enough.  The B-cells react to the levels of glucose in the body.  Without the insulin, the cells cannot get the glucose.  They get hungrier.  The body tries to react by raising the glucose levels so some can get in to feed the cells when there is not enough insulin (or fast...
I've drunk a lot of red wine, mostly cabernets, sometimes blends especially from Australia (I know a guy there who really REALLY is into red wine).   But the most important thing I've learned over the years is no matter what you think you like, it rarely is gonna be the same the next time around.   One of the things most often overlooked is the shipping of the wine.   A great wine from Napa Valley, can turn into crap by the time it reaches Minnesota, if it isn't...
In the end, we really are not at the top of the food chain.  The worms are.  They eat us all eventually, and if not worms then some fungi or other living rot will get us.   So I guess ethics or morality or respect for our food doesn't end up changing anything.   I really don' t think that the worms give a hoot.  They're hungry, they eat.  End of story.   doc
Actually, if you want tenderloin filets you won't end up with any porterhouses.  T-bones have such a little bit of tenderloin on them, I think that you're basically getting the tail end of the whole tenderloin muscle.  This is just my observation from growing up in Iowa and seeing/being told how it is.   Personally, I'd always go for the filets.  What does a porterhouse become without the tenderloin section?  And a T-bone?  Curious minds wanna know!   Actually,...
When I was very young, we lived next to the only farm within the city limits of Davenport.  The first time I saw them take a u-shaped pointed neck holder and nail the chicken's head to a stump, and then chopped off the head I wasn't prepared for watching the chicken's body take off running headless for a good 5 minutes shooting blood out its neck like crazy.  The head just layed there on the stump mouthing quietless cuss words at us.  I was warned not to get too close...
I buy blocks of Mozzarella and cut them into roughly 1   lb chunks, Vacuum seal them with my Vacuum sealer, and keep them in the freezer.  Years later, they still taste (once you thaw them out) as good as the day I bought them in unfrozen 5 lb blocks.   I also buy large quantities of P. Reggiano, some real goat Romano, and some blocks of Asiago.   I have a secret combination by weight and grind them all up in the Robot Coupe.   Then I weigh them in 1 lb...
I would just take some arrowroot or cornstarch add a couple tbsp to a small cup and stir vigorously with about the same amount of water.   Add this slowly to your sauce while it is still "runny".  Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  It will thicken up the sauce and maintain a larger quantity without having to start with more ingredients.  A dash or cognac doesn't hurt, and maybe a bit more S&P to compensate for the relatively tasteless cornstarch mixture.   As you...
KY is right.  Acid reflux is actually GERD (Gastro esophageal reflux disease) and if it occurs on a regular basis, is usually has something to do with the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach.  The esophagus is supposed to be merely a tube to get food from your mouth to your stomach and isn't meant for long term contact with the gastric acids in your stomach.   If your problem occurs more frequently at night, then one cause could be sleep apnea.  When...
No virus alerts.   Windows 98SE Clamwin antivirus software (does not actively monitor, it has to be manually run) Note:  Cheftalk.com runs WAY slower than it used to on my system.   doc