or Connect

Posts by deltadoc

Thanks for your reply. I thought I was clear in Option 2 that in using the GDV it had to be cut with water if it was going to compete with the DG or ES. Nobody that ever saw a GDV would try to use it "uncut"! Ah, the foibles of trying to express oneself via the written word. Anyway, your comment about the Espagnole sauce with meatloaf, pretty much put it into perspective for me. Kuan tells me that Espagnole and Bechamel went out 20 years ago to be replaced by...
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I spend entire weekends starting with browning veal and beef neck bones, making the brown stock, then canning some of the brown stock ( I actually have two stock pots going, one veal, one beef, and can them separately too), reserving enough of the stock to make the Espagnole sauce and still having enough stock left to go for the Demi-glace, once the brown sauce is completed. (I've heard that there are shortcuts eliminating the brown sauce...
So, you have just crusted your dry marinated tenderloin in a hot pan, and removed them to the plate resting on your stove's shelf to keep them warm. What would you prefer doing next? Option 1 Add some butter and shallots. Deglaze with Dry Zack. Add some Demi-glace, and season with salt and pepper to taste; or, Option 2 Add some butter and shallots, deglaze with Dry Zack. Add some water and Glace de veau Viande, season to taste with S&P? Why? What are...
I kind of like this web site, although the "911" part kind of makes you do a double take. www.911cheferic.com deltadoc
I bought the all-clad 7-pc set some years ago, 8 qt. stock pot with cover, 1 & 2 qt sauce pans with cover, and a frying pan with curved edges. Then Dayton's had a sale, and we got the 20-qt stock pot with cover...usually something like $450, and we got it for $300. At Williams-Sonoma, we have on order a 6-qt Saute pan with cover. Been wanting that for a long time. Also have 3 cast iron skillets (little tiny one, a bigger one, and BIG one!) that I inherited from...
Well, after 2+ years of researching and thinking about it, I've decided that the 48" DCS RGS484GG is the one! It outspecs the Wolf, the Jade (Dynasty), Viking, Dacor, the Bluestar (fka Garland). (BTUs) 18k Grill 18k Griddle 30K Big Oven 19K Little Oven 19K ceramic Radiant Broiler Perfect Heat burners @ 17.5K which have dual burners where the high burner goes off when you reduce to a simmer, and the little lower burner can maintain 140 F so no more scorching...
We've had a 1200cfm Vent-a-hood installed since 1992. It is relatively quiet. It has 4 300-cfm blowers, so we can turn on as many as we need. Frankly, we use it in the summer and just run it day and night. It brings in fresh air, exhausts the warm air out of the house, and I subsequently save big $$ by not having to use the air conditioner. It is somewhat difficult to clean the fan blades, and the little vent valve flappers are rather delicate and hard to clean as...
Hi, Just got off the phone with Cutting Edge Kitchens in PA. We discussed the 48" versions of Natural Gas (with Grill and Griddle) ranges from Blue Star (which is formerly made by Garland), DCS, Wolf, and Dynasty. They sell Blue Star, DCS, and Jade Dynasty, and he was very knowledgeable about all of them even the Wolf. He says Blue Star reduced their Radiant Broiler from 20K BTU to 15K BTU. He says they have one really hot burner, and one that is only 250BTUs. He...
Hi Ann, Yeah, Eagles. I remember it well! Some more info from my butcher friend Glenn from Byerly's in St Paul. DO'S 1. Grind up only the white fat. 2. Push on the fat through the plastic wrapper. If it is solid and white, it is good fat. 3. Get prime for the marbling. 4. Buy the whole tenderloin in the sealed pouch as it comes from IBP, and grind up the stuff you trim from it along with your chuck. There's a pretty big flap of stuff that gets trimmed...
I like to grind my own hamburger from chuck. The only problem is, I am not sure what I can grind up and what I should not. After exhaustive net searches, I have not found anything closely resembling a pictorial guide and accompanying instructions on how to do this. The closest thing I've seen is Jacque Pepin with Julia (may she rest in peace) making hamburgers once, but they didn't really go into much detail. I cannot stand to get little white hard things, or...