or Connect

Posts by JBroida

we actually just made a stone set of the 400, 2000, and 6000 that is $200 not $305 http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/sharpening-supplies/gesshin-stone-set.html
visible results that can be noticed by anyone are not generally considered placebo effect
i am definitely not saying its practical, but there are some who have taken SEM pictures of their edges and you would be surprised by the results.  Either way, whether one cuts cells or not, is irrelevant.  One can clearly see the difference in results of a highly finished edge versus a not as highly finished edge in the finished product.  This is a function of  blade geometry, edge refinement, scratch pattern and size, as well as cutting technique.
For what its worth, there are some people out there using 1 micron and even sub-micron abrasives on their edges.... that can put their edges firmly within the range of cell size... http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cell_Biology/Introduction/Cell_size
Its worth noting that i'm currently in Japan and wont be back in the states until november 12th when i return to work.  That being said, the website is still active and shipping.  I just cant sharpen for you until i return.
yup... i know them well... i was a part of making them ;)
in the japanese knife society vidoes, he uses a suisin inox honyaki yanagiba, deba, and kamagata usuba, but no sujihiki for what its worth... glad you're enjoying the videos though :)
the knife is a bit more reactive, and thus requires a bit more frequent wiping, but i dont find it to be a big deal personally... that being said, i know some would prefer to work with a less reactive blade, and in those cases, a patina might be helpful.  Lastly, keeping the blade looking clean and shiny does require additional work when you finish (i.e. rust erasers, non-bleach powdered cleanser, etc.)
Kiritsuke is not really a chefs knife... kiritsuke is a single bevel knife that combines the function of yanagiba and usuba.  This is kind of an "all purpose" knife for chefs doing japanese cuisine, but is not the equivalent of a gyuto or chefs knife. Now days, there are many people who refer to kiritsuke-shaped wa-gyutos or ryoba kiritsuke as simply "kiritsuke", which i think causes a lot of confusion.  Those types are just types of gyutos... not kiritsuke in the...