or Connect

Posts by JBroida

you could do it with a 1k stone, but it will take forever.  This is what coarse stones are for.  I made a couple of videos on the subject:    
your bottom knife is in desperate need of thinning
Yeah.... I didn't mean to come across rude... Just trying to clear things up Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's not entirely accurate... there are many times and cutting techniques where sushi chefs do come in contact with the board with more than just the tip.
not really... thats just bad sharpening if that happens
the gesshin uraku kurouchi white #2 wa-gyuto is a double bevel knife... if you look at the pics, you will see that both sides are beveled (though they are wide bevels, so i can understand the confusion)
if its ok, id rather avoid talking about the knife... this isnt about stuff i sell, just about sharpening
no prob
microbevels are intended to achieve the following things (not necessarily all of them, but at least one, if not a combination of a couple or more):   -maintaining extremely thin geometry on a knife that could not otherwise handle it -reduce chipping in super hard steels -increase stability in larger carbide steels (especially at low sharpening angles) -improve edge retention at a cost of maximum sharpness     The tojiro is a medium hardness version of white #2...
neither of those will benefit from a microbevel as a function of hardness and blade geometry... unless you're thinning the hell out of the tojiro or something