or Connect

Posts by JBroida

As for asymmetry,  it seems that this is a rather confusing issue for many. Part of the confusion stems from the fact that many of the ways that we describe these asymmetries are gross oversimplifications. For example the ratios like 50/50 or 60/40 don't really describe anything of substance. Is it the ratio of the percentage of sharpening on each side?  Is it a ratio of the angles on each side?  In reality it's neither. No craftsman in Japan it's there and measures angles...
so, i generally try to stay out of these things since i sell knives (kind of a conflict of interest/bias issue), but hopefully other people will chime in.  I just though having more info out there might be helpful in terms of people making recommendations to you.
double post
It might be helpful if you were able to provide a bit more information first... What kinds of knives (brands,shapes, and sizes) do you use currently? Do you currently sharpen your own knives?  If so, what do you use for sharpening? If not, is this something you are interested in learning about and doing? What kind of cutting boards do you use? Do you have any chipping issues with your current knives? What kinds of things do you generally cut ? Do you cut things...
that particular gesshin stainless is aus-8 at about 58-59 hrc
unless you like fixing chips a lot, probably not a good idea.  Glad to be of help though.
lets see if i can answer these for you... 1.  It is not very effective as an all purpose knife in most non-professional, non-japanese kitchens.  The knife is designed to combine the functionality of Usuba and Yanaigba.  It works well for those types of tasks. 2.  It will generally be heavier and more front heavy than most gyutos. 3.  The bevel fits somewhere between usuba and yanagiba... rather acute. 4.  Not well... again, the bevel angle is rather acute, so it is for...
the honesuki is aus-8 at 58-59 hrc the gonbei aus-10 series is, obviously, aus-10 ;)
oiling too much will cause your board to leak oil, but uneven oiling will be easy to fix.  You will clearly see dry spots if they dont get enough oil.... just add a bit more to those areas as needed.  Its really not too difficult.
dave generally preps his boards with oil before they leave his shop, so the top may already be more saturated... just a thought