or Connect

Posts by JBroida

forschner/victorinox always works in that range (under $50 for sure... closer to $30)
i just clicked that link out of curiosity and the first thing that popped up was a ryoba deba (double sided deba)... thats not even a chefs knife... its a fish knife.  Based on the majority of knives i see on there, you're probably better off asking a knife-geared forum like kitchenknifeforums.com or kitchenknifefora.com.  However, they have their downfalls too... they will likely recommend only or mostly japanese kitchen knives or custom makers.  Temper that info with a...
you can thin on anything, but it will take a hell of a long time if its not a coarse-ish stone
i made some videos on the subject a while back if you're interested:  
the gesshin uraku white #2 is carbon steel FYI
i'm not entirely comfortable making recommendations on a forum like this considering my work... i'm happy to answer questions, but when it comes to making specific recommendations (brands, etc.), its better if that is left to others. Otherwise, i'm happy to correspond via e-mail or PM. Anyways, the gist of what i am recommending is a good basic yanagiba.  Generally, in my experience, the extremely inexpensive ones have all kinds of issues, so its not about buying the...
here's why i asked... i see a lot of people buying yanagibas... some for their first time and some who have some experience with them.  However, because there are not many people who have good training with them (including many japanese chefs i see here), most people's technique with them is not the best.  This means that most people are likely to make mistakes with their knives... even more so when its their first of this type.  Because of that, i recommend starting off...
why are you trying to buy a top-level yanagiba as your first?  Doesnt it make more sense to get something that will be easier to learn on?
here's a whole playlist of knife sharpening videos if you're interested... http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBF55079F53216AB
actually, now days, you will find more members at kitchenknifeforus.com for that kind of thing