or Connect

Posts by JBroida

i would avoid steeling or the use of rods on knives like this in general.  I also happen to not like steeling at all, so i recognize i'm a bit biased in that regard.  If anyone is curious why i think the way i do, i explain it a bit in this video here:  
i'm not saying that blue #1 has better edge retention than blue super, but it has very good edge retention and is much less chipping usually... edge retention doesnt mean much if your edge microchips all of the time ;)
it depends on what you are looking for... if you want edge retention, i like blue #1, if you want ease of sharpening, i say white #2, and if you want ease of sharpening and awesome edge taking ability with decent edge retention i say white #1, but it can also be a bit more brittle depending on how it was heat treated.  Personally, i'm not a bit fan of blue super in kitchens.... i prefer other steels.
Best is a tough term... Aogami super will have the best edge retention an corrosion resistance of the Japanese carbon steels, but it won't get as sharp as others, will be more difficult to sharpen, and will be more brittle. Zdp189 is most assuredly a stainless steel.
and we had a good time
i think somewhere in the 4-6k range makes more sense, but 8k isnt that far out of the question... much beyond that doesnt make sense to me personally in this case
i would say pick a side... using both sides can lead to stones that wobble more over time or that become trapazoidialy shaped
couldnt agree more personally
i would personally avoid using one of the small sides, but all sides of the stone will sharpen in the case of your king and most other stones (but not all)
you may find this knife sharpening playlist helpful:   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBF55079F53216AB&feature=view_all   there is a video that cover burr formation and removal among many other things