or Connect

Posts by Paul Alfred

I was in the Air Force for seven years, and while I was not a cook for the military I do believe that many things I learned while in the service have been a BIG help now that I work in a kitchen.  Compared to how I was before my military service, I now handle stressful situations with a calmer, more level head, I take criticism well, and I am far more disciplined and focused.  There are many other things that I have been able to apply from my time in the Air Force to my...
I am an advocate for learning via an apprenticeship, such as you are currently doing.  That is how I got started in the culinary field, and my brother did as well.  I'm now a line cook in a great hotel and a promising future with them, and my brother is an executive chef for a hotel where he lives.  I could list many more people I know who are doing well as chefs who never attended school, just as I could list an equal number of friends I know and work with who have gone...
dcarch,   Those look great...now I'm hungry, lol!  
I'm not sure what company we buy our hydroponics from, but I know they're not from a local grocery store.  We have deliveries about once a week from a company that brings us our organics and our hydroponics.  They are quite likely locally grown though since we try to buy as much as is feasible from local farms and such; besides, I'm pretty sure the hydroponic plants wouldn't survive long shipping distances.  Also, our plants are entirely grown in hydroponic pods, and not...
I'm a huge fan of Oxy-Clean.  I've used it a lot, letting my chef whites soak over night and then washing them.  I've not (yet) had any stains that haven't come out that way.
Interesting that this thread came back, but kind-of cool since I can post on it now.  I have one tattoo so far, but because of the kind of problems a visible tattoo can cause in the hiring process I chose to have it located where my shirt will always cover it at work.  I do know a chef with very visible tattoos though, and she's never had a problem (that I know of) getting hired because of them.  And they're on her face too.  They start on her chin just below her lower...
Our restaurant did a couple's special for Valentine's Day that came with a cheese tray for two, two house salads made of hydroponically grown organic lettuce (red and green) and organic heirloom cherry tomatoes, followed by a blood-orange sherbet (made in-house), then chateaubriand with chateau potatoes (tourneed potatoes) and a veggie medley, and finished with two small (cupcake-ish sized) chocolate lava cakes.  I had some fun with it, and learned quite a bit.  One of...
I'm not going to say that Kiwi knives are amazing, but I have noticed that my Chef de Cuisine uses several Kiwi knives at work all the time.  I've not used them, but I'm considering getting one just to have...might be useful at home (since my good knives go to work with me).  Besides, it's kind-of impressive to have one of the MASSIVE chef knives made by Kiwi like what my chef uses, lol...if I want to refer to his knife I usually call it a "broadsword", lol.
  Most likely you are correct, lol...
I use a Messermeister knife-roll like the one below:     There are other knife-rolls that hold more tools, but this one was cheap ($25) and does the trick for me.  Also, I'm a sucker for Messermeister products, lol.