or Connect

Posts by Bill Paulk

i would like to reply to this, but im sure my account would be closed after the fact.
It seems that your looking for some type of validation for being a thief. Assuming that most of us have taken something that didn't belong to us. Stealing is stealing. There is no honor amongst thieves. Eating something for quality control is one thing. Wrapping a steak and sticking it in your bag is another.  If you read my profile you would understand my belief system. If i was aware that someone was stealing. I would document every concealment. Whether it be video or...
I was once interested in working on a cruise ship. After doing my my own research, i was no longer interested. As most have mentioned already. You will not find many American citizens employed  on these ships. A lot of the staff are not getting paid what they are worth. Some are happy to just have a job. Don't let the cruise advertisements fool you. Remember that the cruise lines are there for the paying customers. You won't have that ocean view from your room. There are...
Chef Tech is a challenging and time consuming concept. I assisted with opening and working  for a restaurant in Washington D.C. . The consultant recommended that we use this program. It was the worse head ache. It was a trial and error situation. In the end it did help out with costing and inventory.  If you have a HR department or personal accountant for the restaurant. Allow them to master the program.  You may not even use some of the programs that comes with Chef...
Hello Mike94, I was fortunate to work with a great pastry chef in Tampa, Fl. It was my first main job and it lasted for 5 years. I went in with hardly no experience leaving with some. I say some because there is a lot of information that you must achieve when it comes to the science of pastries and desserts.  Honestly there is not a great demand for pastry chefs. Sometimes demographics play a major role. Most restaurants i have workd for sometimes ordered from outside...
Welcome, Chef Talk is a great source. There are many professional chefs here that will provide good advice. I hope you take advantage of Chef Talk.
Hello Chefs, I have received so much input from great chefs on ChefTalk. I am now a sous chef/kitchen manager. This position is a demanding responsibility.  I work for a large concert venue located in Alexandria, Va. We sometimes serve up to 500 customers in an evening. My executive chef is an old school chef with tremendous knowledge graduating from CIA. He does his best to teach me. I started my career in the kitchen 2001. My first position was washing dishes. I...
I have been away for a while. I have been so busy with my new position. I truly appreciate everyones input.  I have learned that the way someone acts or reacts to someone could be caused by outside sources. Some have the capability of controlling their temper and some not. In the end what matters is how I react. I tell myself every day that I must concentrate on my own success in the kitchen. Once again I feel honored to  get feed back from so many professional chefs ...
Thank you Just Jim for your reply. You are absolutely correct. As mentioned before I can respect an owner and operator wanting to protect their investment. When you have a yeller or even someone that curses at their staff should not be in the business. As it may seem I have ruffled some aprons. The question is what has happened to old fashion respect?  Treating your staff as valuable investment will get you alot further with a quality product being presented. I truly...
Thank you FoodPump for your reply. Correct me if i'm wrong. From what I have read your saying because you feel that customers don't care about your investment. That gives the owner or any supervisor to treat his or her staff with an aggressive attitude. Almost attempting to put fear in them to get results. I truly understand the stressors of the hospitality business. I have came across many of them. To see your staff as a liability questions me. Why are you in the...