or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

...like a famous shoe company says...just do it.  I was meant to be in this induustry, I just didn't know it. I took a break from college until I could figure out what I wanted to change my major to and took a job washing dishes in the interim. As they say...the rest is history. Glad to have you here. Welcome.
     Hey Steve. Glad you are here. Welcome. I have worked in a variety of environments as well, presently working for a catering as my part of the dream. I also have a huge collection of knifes from over the years. A knife for this, a knife for that; however as time goes by the number of different ones that I use has shrunk. I pretty much use my chef's knife for just about everything from fileting whole fish to slicing bread to supreming oranges, etc. etc. etc. LOL. Too...
Prep cook, pantry, or dish washer are typical entry level positions that don't require experience. I started as dishwasher and then moved into pantry and on and on...
Welcome! Glad to have you join our ranks. I grew up in central FL. I also worked in the industry in Winter Park, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Tallahassee.   In 1979, the hugely successful restaurant where I was working in Gainesville, sold to new owners. It was quickly obvious that changes were coming. I didn't necessarily feel simpatico with the changes and knew that my growth there was done. So I left there to become a ski bum in Colorado.   Got to love the geographic...
Sometimes in Indian cuisine, when people talk about curd, they are referring to yogurt. You can fake Indian style yogurt by lining a sieve with cheesecloth and letting it drain or you can make it by heating milk to a boil and then simmer it for about 2 minutes. Let it cool until it is warm (not hot) and then stir in some yogurt. Cover and let sit at room temp for 4-5 hours.
Back atcha!! Welcome aboard. Where are you studying?
I don't have any contacts in the Inland Empire of Southern California that I can think of off hand, but there certainly isn't a shortage of restaurants. A little footwork on your part should turn up someone willing to be interviewed for your assignment.   An added benny being that at the same time it opens the door of professional networking which could potentially be a great ally to your career in the future.
Paladares all the way.
Welcome aboard. The great thing about this industry is that it can be a continually learning and growing experience if one is open minded. I have been doing this a long time and still learn new things constantly. Glad to have you with us!
Good atcha! There is always room for people that do. It is an admirable quality that I definitely look when interviewing potential employees. One of the reasons that I am still in this industry after all these years is the fact that it is never boring. Stay focused and keep plugging away. Don't let abrupt chefs and the demands of the industry keep you from pursuing what it is that interests you. At times those things get to us all, but just remember that this too shall...