or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

Definitely still safe to cook and eat. Your method of thawing was the best as far as safety standards and the timeline sounds about right for a large bone in cut.
Looks like it would be hard to work in narrow aisles and crowded dining room around tables. How compactly does it store away? Is it something that servers could stow away after delivering an order to one table in order to take an order from another table and then clear/bus yet another table or would they need to return to the kitchen to drop the device off first? What is the training time to get comfortable with using it?
 Must have been coffin nails.
 Could you point me in the direction of a source for Taillevent making bechamel because I am a perpetual student and never tire of culinary learning. Along those lines I am not sure, but I believe that Taillevent lived in the 1300's; but I need to do more research before stating so unequivocally.
Hi @Garage Rat, welcome to ChefTalk. Love your attitude! I can definitely relate. Glad to have you here!
 FWIW, Chef Francois Pierre de la Varenne wrote Le Cuisinier Francois in 1651 and his version of bechamel was flour, butter, and milk. Why is Escoffier's more "true"?
I have never owned a catering business (although I work for one), but I was a restaurant owner. I did my own books including payroll, but I did use an accountant for year end taxes.   I did my own books for two reasons. The first being the more obvious one of saving me money. The second being that it forced me to be more cognizant on a daily basis of exactly where and how my money was being utilized. It forced me into staying a hands on owner.   If you asked me my food...
grilled seekh kabab (ground lamb, onion, serrano chile, mint, cilantro, cumin, and garam masala) with a tomato chutney sauce   jasmine rice salad (jasmine rice, mango, quick pickled English cucumber and red cabbage, toasted coconut and almonds, mint, parsley with a mango citrus vinaigrette) with a toasted coconut and almond drizzle   asparagus with a lemon turmeric yogurt and balsamic red onions  
They make a great stock with lots of flavor. I don't roast the bones, just water and mire poix.
Yeah I know what you mean, I am in a rural area of the Sierra foothills in California and I am a little too out of the box sometimes. Tendency to scare the locals with my cuisine at times, not smart business, but I can't help myself LOL.