or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

How could increasing your sales 20%, not free up money to be applied to cooks. How many cooks worked in your 32 seat restaurant? How many covers were you doing? Just dinner, or lunch and dinner, or breakfast, lunch, and dinner? How many days a week?
 Great perhaps now we can "forge" ahead! Sorry guys, couldn't resist.  :~)
Vollrath 58900 8-1/2" French-Style Fry Pan - Carbon Steel   about $16
A general rule of thumb that I use when selecting what words to use when responding here is...if I wouldn't use that word in the dining room when speaking to guests (or to my grandmother), then I don't use it here.   One of the hallmarks of being a good chef is creativity. Coarse language shows a deficit of imagination. Frustration can be expressed more much eloquently than through the banality of cuss words.   At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :~)
Probably along the lines of a tryout. However it turns out, it is a win for you, as it is a great chance for learning and exposure to the industry. Goodatcha and give it hell!
Anyone who wants to be taken seriously as a chef, should include pastry in their skill set. Go for it. Don't worry about wasting their time, that decision is up to them.
 Contrary to what I might think, I am not always at work. At home I don't buy in bulk, more like a week's worth at most. My freezer has ice in it and that's about it.
It is important as you make it. You are attending a culinary school, so I would suggest you make it very important because you only get back what you put in   Be a sponge. Soak up and learn as much as you possibly can. Volunteer. Be the first to put your hand up when instructor asks who wants to assist or to give it a go. Replicate at home to reinforce and cement the knowledge in your arsenal. Take copious notes. At home convert your notes into a more permanent journal...
Do a pad thai without garlic or meat. Serve the garlic allergy person, the gluten free people, the vegetarians. Add some cooked (in the same vein) protein and serve the meat eaters.   Do a paella without garlic or meat. Serve the garlic allergy person, the gluten free people, the vegetarians. Add some cooked (in the same vein) protein and serve the meat eaters.   Do a harira stew without garlic or meat. Serve the garlic allergy person, the gluten free people, the...
 Kudos and ditto.   Once again the same sentiment from me. Well said!