or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

Oh well. Here's to making better choices in the future. ;~)
Because I am anal, I just timed myself reading this post, which I purposely did as slowly as I could. It took me a whole five seconds. When I get to the end of my life, I don't think I will remember the five seconds it took me to read it, as one of the biggest regrets of my life. Nor do I think it will register as one of the minor annoyances in the span of my life. I highly doubt that I will even remember the five seconds. That's my story and I' sticking to it!
 I have a commercial unit. Yes it is noisy, but it is not like I run it all day and so have to listen to it 24/7. Run time is a small percentage of the 24 hour time increments. Yes it is expensive, but I bought it 25 years ago. Used it professionally, on a daily basis, several times a day, for 15 years. Still going strong. Average that out and it is inexpensive. I can't say enough good things about it. I love it. Amazing piece of equipment. If I go on, it will start to...
Cool! Thanks for expanding my knowledge. I appreciate it.
 Are there any potential health hazards to heating plastic wrap, especially when it is in contact with the food?
 My guess would be it takes more steel to make the scimitar. Thicker blade and more height.   I believe it is high carbon stainless steel, so shouldn't be any issues.
I have seen plenty of people, who get paid, in kitchens that muscle sharp knives because they lack knowledge of proper technique.
If you muscle the knife that will happen. If you use a light touch. Don't saw and let the knife do the work, willy and nilly stay home. Thirty years ago a chef (that I have mad respect for) corrected my technique and then told me to use it like it was a straight edge razor and I was shaving the face of a friend.
The slicer. It is more flexible and better suited to the job. It will give more feel feedback. The scimitar is stiffer and better suited to cutting steaks such as NYs..
Are you more interested in paper, knowledge (what kind? business end  or cooking end), or networking? Prioritize your interests. That info should help in the decision making process.