or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

I work for a caterer and we do pork tenderloin frequently. We transport them in cambros and always receive great feedback from the guests on our food. Our client list includes some of most prestigious black tie events in the Sacramento area.   Pork tenderloins generally run about 1 - 1 1/2# per tender, so depending upon portion size you are probably looking at 35 -40 tenders. One of my concerns with doing them on site would be the one available oven aspect. Is it a...
 You said that and then you went on to talk about three points. Which of the three is the one that you wanted to make clear?  I think it is more that people are used to and conditioned to fast food and the sugars that are in them. Pavlovian dogs. I used to love McDonald's and Coca-Cola. Over time my diet has slowly shifted to one where I pay more attention to what I put into it. I can not tell you the last time I ate at a fast food place, but it has been a few years. I...
I would grill mark whole tenderloins. Finish in oven. Transport in a cambro. Slice right before service at venue and back into cambro until plate up.
Yes, neither pasteurization nor homogenization would interfere with the process of making ricotta.
I don't know, I went to culinary school back in the dark ages before the proliferation of the diploma mills of today. Some of the best students turned out to be people that had never worked in restaurants before. Conversely some of the worst students were those with the most experience. Even so, I still strongly advise people to work in the industry before attending culinary school. To me it only seems to make good sense. A free market society by it's very nature pretty...
here's a couple that I have done   Grilled Lamb Tenderloin New Zealand lamb brushed with a pomegranate, red wine, honey, and coriander marinade then grilled, sliced and sprinkled with a fuyu persimmon, pomegranate aril, and cracked black pepper relish and served a mint pesto   Rack of Lamb New Zealand lamb rack seasoned with a Malaysian sweet spice rub of coriander, star anise, black pepper, sambal oelek, ginger, and lemongrass then pan seared and finished in a hot...
Same thing only different .You are projecting a staff of 5 at prime times and we run with 3. I think you could easily eliminate 1 if not 2. Granted our staff has all been there at least 3 years which means they are a pretty well oiled machine, so I probably wouldn't recommend running that lean at first. The 3 is for after you get your feet wet and for long term business projections.
old school = demi glace new school = glace de viande modernist school = beef noodles
   The only people that will see the food at the counter are the ones that have paid and and are picking up, the people behind them in line won't be able to see it so it won't really influence their decisions much. If the register person is doing soups, getting salads, etc it will slow down the process of getting orders making for longer waits. Our register person takes orders, payments, and answers the phone. that is theoretically it. For eye appeal, upping sales, etc the...
In a sandwich shop setting, I would bring everything at the same time; otherwise you are increasing trips to table and complicating things which will increase your labor both FOH & BOH. It might seem incremental, but it compounds quickly. Keep it simple.