or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

Like @phatch said it makes a great rub for roasted items. I have used it on on chicken, lamb, seafood,and vegetables. I also have gotten a little more out of the box and made it into a vinaigrette for this dish   Middle Eastern Inspired Chicken, a boneless and skinless breast marinated in yogurt, harissa, and honey, then grilled, served on a salad of baby arugula and bread and butter pickled Vidalia onions; sauced with a za’atar vinaigrette and topped with a tomato and...
Thirty years I worked for a chef that loved to prank waitstaff. From years of working hot lines he had no feeling asbestos lined fingers, every night he would bare hand an oven hot plate to a wait staff member, who would immediately yelp and set the plate down. He got a huge laugh out it, but it didn't negatively effect anything in the long run, no harm done, backbones were tougher back then so the wait staff rolled with the punches and life went on.   Actually,...
I would intensely interview both companies. Ask what a typical workday is like. Ask how communications are handled after hours and on days off. Ask to spend some time observing the working environment. Ask to read an employee handbook, it will give you some insight into whether the company is result driven or rule driven.. Ask to speak to peers, bosses, subordinates, and if possible, the person that previously held your position. Ask about the boss's management style,...
There is a time and a place for everything. I am a big tease, love stupid jokes, and having fun.   The "prank" took a member of the team out of commission for 45 minutes on a busy night. It effected the person it was played on. It effected coworkers. It effected guests. etc. etc. etc. Bottom line, it effected the business. It was neither the time nor the place.   I have no sense of humor and zero tolerance for actions that negatively effect my business. At the very...
Depends on what I doing. Generally I grind just the seeds. I do it as I use them because their flavor dissipates rapidly after grinding. I find that a mortar and pestle works best for the small amounts of using as I go. For things that are going to be strained (like tea) I grind or mash the entire pod.
Samples. Push them on people. "New cole slaw (soup, hummus, whatever) we just prepared fresh in house today, tell me what you think...blah blah blah"   Any businesses in the area...samples. Hand out menus and business cards.   Put someone outside the front door...samples. Hand out menus and business cards.   Samples...did I mention samples?   "New cole slaw (soup, hummus, whatever) we just prepared fresh in house today, tell me what you think...blah blah blah"
 Didn't really see an answer to the OP question here either, so I will attempt go there...shouldn't really matter significantly on cooking time because the oven doesn't know nor care how many roasts are in it.
Whatever food cost that you would like to see, may not be applicable here; the owners might have a different vision. You shouldn't make business decisions for someone until you understand their plans and goals. You need to be on the same page as the owners.   One time, I worked a new start up that quickly became hugely popular and successful. It was a dinner restaurant with an adjoining lounge with Las Vegas style entertainment. On the weekends we would have a two to...
Boy, I have far too many questions before I can offer much in the way of a constructive critique. A few thoughts though, I would probably add a textural note such as walnuts to the stuffing for the pork chop.   While I am on the subject of walnuts, they would probably work better than pecans on the salmon. Maple syrup is sweet and so are pecans. Walnuts (while sweet as well) are able to provide an astringent counterpoint to the maple syrup due to the tannins present in...
LOL, I am the other end of the spectrum, I have only eaten sauerbraten in restaurant preparations; but then years of working 70 hour weeks (mostly evenings) kind of limits the dinner invitations that one receives. :~)