Posts by cheflayne

I am not sure if my knife would be considered a hard or soft steel, it's a MAC Professional, but at any rate...I just know cardboard works for me in the middle of a long prep day for a quick refresh. But yeah for a keener edge it goes on my stones at home.
 Keep a piece of cardboard in your station. Occasionally during the day, pull it out and use it to strop your knife. Go back to work.
 Let's say total investment is $500,000 divided between 100 shares. Each share is $5,000. I am the chef and I buy 50 shares at a discounted rate of 30% so each share costs me $3500. My total investment is $175,000. Partner has the other 50 shares of the business. We are 50/50 partners.How great is that!....I paid $175,000 for my 50%. He paid $325,000 for his 50%. I don't know, but I could be wrong, but I am just a hard headed chef... Also that scenario kinda mirrors my own...
 The chef put up money (in your specific question). He has skin in the game as far as equity, So how is getting a lower salary incentive?
To expand on @chefbuba idea, let's say you have 5 different sizes of pizza 6", 9", 12", 14", 16". Get  5 large to go cups (or hard plastic cups, or actual measuring cups, or whatever) and a magic marker. Weigh out a portion of cheese for a 6" pizza. Pour it into a to go cup. Mark the level with the magic marker and write a big #6 on the cup. Put the cheese back. Now you have a marked portion cup. Do the same for the remaining 4 sizes. Use these pre-marked portion control...
 I was going to answer, but my two hours aren't up!    Oops, I did answer, I guess I have a problem!     Just funning, I totally agree with you.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           ...
Does your company have a clearly defined written policy on phones use at work and consequences of not following policy. Has the cook in question signed acknowledging receiving the written policy and consequences; and that she fully understands it? If so, I would initiate the consequences listed. If not I would suggest to HR that they institute such a program post haste. I would also suggest to HR that they physically remove the phone from her possession...or draft a memo...
 Yeah this. Marble does pretty good without supervision. Maybe there are reasons for this. I love out of the box thinking, but sometimes all I encounter when I get outside of the box is just endless space.
Sounds good, but I agree that the tuille is probably one too many items. What would the jet black puree be, and is it more of a component, a sauce, or a drizzle? Baby zucchini and carrots sound good for veg, but if you go with a crustacean emulsion (which sounds great), you might lose some color contrast between the carrots and the emulsion. Also as much as I love zucchini, it doesn't pack much in the way of a flavor punch or texturally. Another option to consider could be...
I have worked in a few old school European restaurants where it used to be fairly common for kitchens to be no talking zones. It was like being in a library.   A library's primary purpose is focused on the books and expansion knowledge. Other activities distract from that purpose and so are discouraged.   It is hard to be friendly with no talking. It is hard to be rude with no talking. Perhaps your perception of the working environment and the people in it was thrown a...