Posts by cheflayne

I have yet to find any pair of gloves that can make well informed choices before taking action. Gloves do not have the ability to decide how they will be used.   Education is still the most viable solution.
Is there anything in particular these high profile Chefs are looking for? What would a viable candidate's resume look like? Or is it more about "who you know" rather than what you know? They are looking period, there is a labor shortage.   Where do the cooks live? At the lower end of the totem pole with a lower income, where's the housing? I'm married with a 12 year old daughter so shared rooms aren't an option. (Former military, career changer) $2,000 unfurnished...
I wouldn't say anything, I would just do... go quietly about correcting potential food safety issues. It probably won't take long before someone says something, then you can mention how you were just following standard protocols for safety and sanitation. The direction things go from there will speak volumes, but you didn't bring it up, so no negative juju should velcro to you.
1st question, IMO, if you are receiving the check from the wedding party, then you are the accountable one.   2nd question, IME, zero, zilch, nada, zip
 I have done a fair amount of vagabond/itinerant/wanderlust chef work in my career. My travel job knife kit is an 11" chef knife, a 12" granton slicer, a serrated bread knife, and my sharpening stones. I figure I can handle just about anything that comes my way with those four items. Most restaurants have a general staff use pool of peelers, zesters, graters, spatulas, turners, tongs, etc so I don't bother with anything along those lines. I can always make do and if I...
I was an architecture major in college in my 4th year of a 5 year program when I decided it wasn't quite right for me. I decided to take a break from school for a few months until I could figure out what I wanted to change my major to, plus I was burned out from having been like 12 straight quarters.   My roomate's brother was opening a restaurant at the base of the Rocky Mountain National Park and he offered me a dishwashing job along with room and board. I figured...
An additional side benefit to rinsing, other than washing off starch, is it also helps to rinse off arsenic. I usually cook brown rice and rinse under warm to hot water.
Honey and juniper glazed bacon loin chops with a Bushmills Irish Honey Whiskey sauce and a side of colcannon.
A picture might help us to give feedback. What are you planning on doing with the sauce?
 ditto, plus pretty much everything else Jimyra and chefwriter said. Resist the urge to put one last thing on the plate. I have seen countless people shoot themselves in the foot with last minute touches. Simple but well rounded. Remember sweet, sour, saltiness, texture. Work with a small footprint and clean as you go. Be organized and efficient. No multiple trips. No empty handed trips. Multitask. Breath. This too shall pass. Keep an eye on the clock, but remember time...