or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

Jacque Pepin is laboring under the misconception that "Mayonnaise can become sauce ...and, of course, the well-known aioli," in his book Jacques Pepin's Complete Techniques.   Also I was under the impresssion that an emulsion is a mixture of two liquids that would ordinarily not mix together. Curious as to how this applies to oil and garlic.
Speaking as a experienced chef/owner of a similarly staffed restaurant, 12 hour days are short ones. 15-16 hour days that you mentioned are more the norm in that scenario.   It is good that you want to be fair to the owner because to make the restaurant more economically feasible I would imagine that you need to bump the guest count from 50-55, to 70-75. You can still achieve thoseincreases and provide a 2 hour dining experience which doesn't exactly fall into the...
The bread and butter pickled onions are a quick refridgerator pickled onion with a crispy bite still. I like to use, French cut, yellow Bermuda onions. The brine is a 4/2/1 (vinegar/sugar/water) seasoned with pickling spice, black peppercorn, yellow mustard seed, bay leave, Ceylon cinnamon, turmeric, and salt.
There are more and larger ones in my head.
Kitchens are bastions of bias. There is gender bias, sexual orientation bias, racial bias, culinary school grad bias, no culinary degree bias, chain bias, the list goes on ad infinitum. There are even vegetables cut on a bias!!! Bias du jour. Start a thread on hollandaise, talk about encountering bias.    We are not evolved as a species, nearly as much as we like to think that we are. There is not much that I can do about that, other than to monitor and evaluate how I...
I have done it that way also, but then the pendulum swings back to too much of a Reuben and not enough Cuban. I like the pickled onions as kind of bridge in place of the kraut. Still a work in progress, but one that I am more than happy to toil away at.
I have done it a few different ways, current version.   Cuban bread Cuban roasted pork pastrami Swiss cheese bread and butter pickled onions mayo dressing with whole grain mustard, caraway seeds, tabasco, lime juice
Through a healthy grasp of reality and humility. I am good at what I do, but I am not the only one that can do what I do.   My wife also unknowingly helps. She is a retired emergency room nurse. When she used to drag herself home at the end of a particularly brutal shift, she would smile and say we saved a life tonight as she sank into her chair to take off her shoes. Keeps things in perspective for me.   When science finally discovers the center of the universe, while...
I have been in a similar setup in a few different restaurants, depending upon seating capacity, three turns, 80 - 120. Totally insane but doable, but like beastmasterflex said 60 -80 is more reasonable.
A Cuban Reuben, yes. A Muffuletta, yes. A Cuban Reuben Muffuletta, no; but now you got me thinking which is always dangerous:)