or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

I always look at the interview process as a two way street. I am interviewing them as much or more than they are interviewing me. I have learned to trust my gut and pay attention to any red flags that arise. Emotions, such as joy ( at potentially finding a job ), should be left out of the equation. It is always best to look at the situation in an analytical manner and weigh the pros and cons the same as going over a business financial statement.
It's all about me.......isn't it?
globally inspired eclectic
the latest in no thumb chef wear   when saute station gets an order for shrimp scampi, fresh gloves pour oil in pan, new gloves put shrimp in pan, remove shrimp, change gloves add garlic to pan, change gloves, add wine, fresh gloves and add stock, fresh gloves and return shrimp to pan, change gloves and add parsley, new gloves and add butter, done deal; oh yeah I forgot salt (gloves) and pepper (gloves), I am not sure about plate up but give me a second while i...
I think you are right about the peppercorns getting scorched. As to the classical way, there isn't really one and you will get lots of different opinions. Some with no stock or demi just cream, some with stock and cream, some with demi and cream, and even some with stock but no cream.   As an old school saute guy, I have done more au poivre than I care to remember. The first time I made one was as a special request and I just winged it. The guest loved it so any time...
  toriwasa
Last year they used a kiddie wading pool to chill the 40 gallon pot, so using the same pool again this year would make it a piece of cake to chill a bunch of hotel pans at the same time.
Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, but I have been busy at work. I didn't write that one down and it has been a few years since I made it; but to the best of my recollection basic gist was:   bring xeres vinegar to a simmer and pour over lavender, let steep for a few minutes and strain   make a gastric with honey and lavender steeped xeres   saute shallots, galangal, and garlic; deglaze with marsala and drambuie add duck stock and honey; reduce;...
I took inspiration from the rendangs of the Minangkabau culture in Sumatra. I did a wet rendang or kalio with the much dreaded and maligned tofu, yams, kale, zucchini, yellow squash, corn, chickpeas, and fire roasted tomatoes. Served it with brown rice. The rendang paste was made using dried red chiles, shallots, garlic, ginger, galangal, lemongrass, coriander, cumin, fennel, nutmeg, and tamarind. I simmered the paste with vegie stock and coconut milk. Added the tofu and...
"Most benefits the employee" comes down to point of view. If it benefits the FOH employees doesn't necessarily mean that it benefits the BOH. Could be that the complete opposite occurs. It would appear to me that if I were an hourly BOH employee and not allowed to share in tips I would certainly would feel that I didn't benefit from your point of view. So which employee's benefit trumps the other? Why the aversion to sharing tips with BOH?   Any thoughts or opinions on...