Posts by cheflayne

I would suggest knocking on as many kitchen doors as you can and talk to the chefs in pretty much the same manner as you did in your post. You will probably encounter a lot of chefs who don't get where you are coming from and what you have to offer, but then you wouldn't want to work for them anyway, so no loss. It is always best to realize sooner than later, if it is a fit or not You will find a chef that gets it and that you click with and that is where you want to be....
 Back in the days when I was a waiter, I called this the firing frenzy and you could see it coming from a million miles away. A good waiter can quickly assess his guests and figure out what kind of pacing will work for them. Some will want to be fast. Some slow. Etc. When you see the firing frenzy coming, you use this assessment to plan your order taking (drink order, food order, apps, no apps, etc), your placing of orders, your of delivery of items, etc etc etc. You can...
 There is no reason to subject yourself to such an environment. It is a no win situation and total b.s. Find a better work place.  Don't listen to the negative voices in your head, remember this insteadFind a positive place that will appreciate what you bring to the job. Those are good qualifications that are prized by any worthwhile chef that is looking for an employee.
This. This. This.   Not this. Not this. Not this.  When I was learning to ride a bicycle, I tried the same way every time until it finally sunk in and became second nature. If instead, I tried a multitude of different methods in my attempts at learning to ride, I probably would have sold the bike.
 I hear that. I did it for years before I decided that there were too many things that enjoyed in life that I no longer did since owning a restaurant because there was no time. I decided it was time to get back to doing those things. I closed my restaurant after a sufficient time period to make sure that I was good with my decision. Hung a sign in the window saying "going to the Caribbean, beaches to walk, boats to sail, fish to be caught" I haven't looked back since. I am...
Another voice for Thermapen, as has been previously recommended.
 I went from working hours similar to yours to owning my own restaurant. When I did that 10 hour work days and 5 day work weeks became a thing of the past. The time investment pretty much doubled, but it was easy to deal with it because I was doing exactly what I wanted and loved. It was my dream brought to life. I still couldn't believe it actually happened.... Oh yeah, my pay didn't double like my hours did, more like a pay cut; but that didn't deter me in the least...
To this day, I still remember an episode where he made potato salad without potatoes. As he was demonstrating the recipe, he related the origin behind the dish. One day he had some unexpected company. Wanting  to be a gracious host, he decided to make a little something for his guests to nibble on. Unfortunately he discovered that he had a pretty bare pantry, but with what he had on hand he came up with the idea of subbing saltine crackers in the place of potatoes in the...
   Ludwig van Beethoven
A bigger paycheck and less free time to spend it. :~)...unless of course you salaried, then...