or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

Think of your team as a menu. Then think like a chef. You just gave a menu to your sous. Do you want him to work with it or to start eliminating items as he sees fit?
Have you showed him ways to be more efficient in his work habits or are you just ready to 86 him? One of the jobs as a sous is to improve and fine tune the team, not just be a hatchet man.   I would work with the guy first. Then if he is not getting it, I would sit down with him and give him specific details on what exactly I expected as far as job performance and areas of improvement. Together we would set goals and targets for improvement, and a time frame after which...
Wouldn't you say that your that your description of a pittsburgh is a steak that is black on the outside but blue in the center, hence the name black and blue?
The more things change, the more they remain the same.  I have been in this industry for 40 years. The following paragraph you wrote, but if I delete one word and change one other, the paragraph could have been written by me at any time in the last 40 years.
The reason that I can taste the difference is not because I have a superhuman palate, although it is hard to admit that , but rather because I have been exposed to traditional classical beurre blanc.   Aunt Margie probably thinks Applebee's is top notch because that has been her exposure. One of my goals as a chef is education.   I had been working in the industry and good restaurants for 5 years and considered my self pretty food savy when I got a job with a...
I have a full case of German knives. For 25 years my go to knife was an 11 1/2" Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional "S" Chef's Knife. Finally retired it for a MAC about 10 years ago. These days when I pick up the Henckels it feels like a chain saw because it is so much heavier than the MAC. Still an awesome knife though, it just resides in a place of honor in my kitchen at home.
My knife is a Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional "S" Hollow-Ground Slicer Knife 14". The one in the picture is a Zwilling J.A. Henckels Professional "S" Hollow-Ground Slicer Knife 10".
How cool is that! Back in 1980, I was managing a place and we had a table order a 1961. It was my honor to open and decant it. The guests graciously offered a me taste in the process which I naturally accepted. What a treat! This profession may be made of blood, sweat, and tears; but it does have it's bennies.
I would say to change your hours to where you work dinner shift so that you can hopefully better control what happens with the desserts. Also this will free you up during the day so that you can start looking for another position, because basically that is my advice.   I have worked for micro-managers before and it is like, why did you bother to hire me? Needlessly to say, I didn't stay at any those positions very long.
 I am going to have side with beastmasterflex on this one.