or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

What have you done in the past to make white rice more exciting? As helloitslucas mentioned, the same approach should work with brown rice.   I make brown rice at home a lot and I usually finish it with a splash of soy and extra virgin olive oil. Along the same lines, a splash of vinaigrette (made to pair with the accompaining dishes) will also work.   Another finishing touch is a sprinkle of furikake. I especially like aji nori furikake, but there are tons of...
Assuming she knows of your lack of commercial experience, my guess is that she is looking for "no fear" and "teachable".
If your daughter works in the industry for 40 years, a 2 year school will represent 5% of her career. 95% of her career will be represented by practical working experience. The vast majority of her education will occur in the 95% of her career during which time she gets paid. So the question seems to be "how much do you want to spend on the 5% of her career that is non paying"?
That is awesome! What a cutie! Thanks for sharing your proud poppa picture with us.
No photos but I can elaborate. Spam is cut 1/2"x1/2"x3", dipped in tempura batter and deep fried. Seaweed salad is red dulse and wakame soaked for 5 minutes in cold water, drained, gently squeezed and dried, then tossed in a dressing of sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, and gomasio; along with finely julienned daikon, English cucumber, and carrot. For the spinach, toss baby spinach in a screaming hot pan, remove from heat, splash with Shaoxing, golden balsamic,...
sailor, seaman, mariner, or seafarer  
No pics of the lamp, when I closed my restaurant the lamp went into storage with everything else. It is in there somewhere, but so buried that I have no idea where.   Speaking of spam dishes, besides musubi,another favorite way that I like to prepare it is batons of spam tempura with seaweed salad, Japanese spinach with sweet sesame seeds, and togarishi hollandaise. Yum!   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGnWvNevVI0
Musubi rocks.   A cook that worked for me a few years back knew of my twisted attraction and made me a lamp out of spam cans for a Christamas present.
I usually like to thicken by reduction or by pureeing some of the sauce and then adding it back in.
In my current job I am, at the present time, the only male, although we did just hire a male dishwasher. At my last job, the crew working the line was split 50/50, prep was all female, dish was all male. In Caribbean, I had an all female crew (FOH & BOH) except for bartenders. When I owned my restaurant, over the 12 years, I would guess the split was roughly 50/50. So in my experience, in the last 20 years, hiring woman in the kitchen is fairly common place.   The...