or Connect

Posts by cheflayne

What is the problem with your roux? How do you make it?
HEY!  Does bigger bold font lend credence to our posts?
If you watch someone make a French omelette or a hollandaise can you surmise anything about their work habits?   Disclaimer: I have never given nor thought of giving a cooking test to a job candidate.
I can't say for sure but if I asked the same thing of a job candidate the end result hollandaise would not be the major part of the equation so much as watching you work and getting a feel for how you think and react in a kitchen. I can teach someone a different method and way of doing something much easier than I can change their basic personality and work habits.   Your answer to the chef was not wrong by any means. If I heard that response it would not be an...
Cambro is your friend. You should be able to rent one and then you can transport your food cooked and it will stay at temp.
Fine, then pay yourself. Even when it is your menu, your way.... the customers still have the final say because if they don't come in...see first part of post.     There is no point trying to teach a pig to sing. All it will do is annoy the pig and frustrate you. I can relate to the twenty something year old chefs though as I still, even after all these years, have creative demons running around in my head demanding to be let out.   Explain it. Outline the personal...
I personally never buy a chef's knife for work unless it spends at least 1/2 hour in my hand before any outlay of cash. Also if during that 1/2 hour, I can spend a fair amount of the time cutting vegetables, potatoes, etc that is a bonus.   Bottom line JoeZ, the knife is going to be a gift from the heart and because you are proud of your daughter, therefore how can you go wrong? Even having just said that, buying a knife for someone else is kind of like buying shoes...
Recognizing that no one approach works for all people is definitely one of the keys to being a a good leader. It is all about matching up round holes and round pegs. Finding the motivation triggers for different individuals in order to meld a cohesive team.
Cool, thanks. Standing up for oneself certainly clears the air and lets others know how we feel about a situation and potentially what our boundaries are. However the downside is that if the chef is a yelling type, he probably won't be overly receptive to input, but you never know until you try. As a plan of action, it certainly should cut to the chase at any rate.
So your advice to her would be what?