or Connect

Posts by AtHomeBleu

Thanks ashegoe. I think I would have to see exactly how the "drips" look. My sides are covered solidly except for where the candy clay is, and it isn't sticky so the beads wouldn't stay on it. That being said, you could cut wax or parchment paper to cover the frosting areas where you do not want the beads. This would work if the frosting was cold enough to be undisturbed by the paper, but still able to push beads into. Does the picture definitely show the cake as...
I have always used 1/4 in. wooden dowels which I cut with floral shears. They are easy to mark, and you can cut all you need for one tier at a time. ( ALL the supports for one tier MUST be the same length!)  Long dowels can also be sharpened to pierce through multiple tiers for added stability when pre-stacking tiers to save set-up time (which I have come to find indespensible in eliminating last minute stress!) I use foamboard to separate up to three tiers and have...
Thank you! I actually did my cake 12-17, but thankfully I had JUST enough for what I was doing. I used 2 lbs. of the candy melts and corn syrup you suggested and they were easy to handle. This was my first time to use this medium and I think I rolled some of them too thin, but it was a good thing since I ended up with only of small ball left over! You can see what I did with it in my album "Crew's Cake".    That's a beautiful cake you posted! Did you roll the edges...
Thank you both! I bought the pearls from a cake supply store so I'm not sure. They were VERY crunchy and definitely more for looks than eating enjoyment, although the kids loved them! 
It's just decorating sugar I bought at a craft store. There are several fun colors.
Well, here is my latest labor of love. (I make wedding cakes for friends and family and only ask to be reimbursed for materials cost.) It was interesting because the wedding was in Oklahoma City and I live in Fort Worth. I transported the filled, un-iced tiers, and all my frosting and equipment to a friends place on Thursday. Then spent ALL day Friday decorating. Saturday evening I delivered and assembled at the wedding site about 30 miles away.    The cake was...
Hello, all! My name is Tanya (pronounced with short "o" sound).  I recently joined cheftalk and I look forward to being able to glean much cooking knowledge from you all, as well as- hopefully- impart some every once in a while. I'm a full time mom and cook and I love finding THE right recipe or method for perfect results and ideal tasting dishes. I'm also am a self-taught cake baker and designer. I've done quite a few wedding cakes- starting with my first in 1996- and...
I had a Misto I enjoyed for the time it lasted. It wasn't very large and I never filled it all the way so the oil didn't get rancid before used. Eventually the pump wore out so it wouldn't build pressure to spray. I tried the spray bottle and it definitely did NOT work. I wouldn't want to add grain alcohol. I'd go with the Misto and do frequent refills! 
To the talk about genoise cakes, I'm in agreement that cake should be moist without a syrup. However, I have made a genoise that uses only egg yolks and requires no syrup. It is a real treat! The subtle browned butter flavor is truly addicting, and it has a very fine crumb without being dry. The recipe is "Golden Genoise" from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible. 
How can I figure how much modeling chocolate to make? I'm cutting strips of it to create "pleats" around the sides of a large cake. I realize how thin it's rolled makes a difference. I'll be rolling it 1/16" at the most. I thought I'd make chefpeon's recipe using 3# of white chocolate, but I really have no idea how far this would go. Can anyone help? Thanks!