or Connect

Posts by Ntosaj

Hey there Kokopuffs!   The reviews do look pretty good but it seems like it needs to be watched over, and the capacity seems a bit small if I'm planning on selling to cafes and such. Thanks for pointing me towards TFL though!
Hey there everyone! I've been looking for a stand mixer and I was hoping you all could provide me with some assistance. I gave the kitchenaid 600 a whirl and I found it to be a joke, it could barely handle two recipes of my buttery brioche dough, the engine makes a horrible noise and even after cycling the motor up slowly and only using it for bread at speed 2 it still begins to smell after thirty seconds or so. At this point it's pretty sad, my mum's thirty year old Oster...
Nicko, what an awesome topic!   Mind you, I might be somewhat biased as this is what I study (currently completing my MA in Culinary History before moving on to the PhD)   I'm surprised no one has brought up Sydney Mintz's "Sweetness and Power" stellar book about the growth of the sugar trade and imperialism, absolute must read! There's a fantastic theoretical backing to it which extends to defining cuisine and haute cuisine vs. simple food distinguishing the culture...
Thanks Terry! I'll look into it!   Phatch: Non-reaction is definitely a plus, didn't even consider it, what effect would those have on cat-iron? I tend to use teflon, would they end up tasting odd? be discoloured?   Ps. Anyone happen to know how hot pans tend to get on the highest setting of a burner? I know it can depend on the pan and the burner but a rough average would be nice, must be below 500?
I'm guessing that the issue too then is making sure they don't rust after (ie proper drying protocol, oiling, etc.). How do you go about it, what's your favorite?   However, my family doesn't care for that kind of upkeep so I guess the search continues...  
Thanks Phatch   And foodpump,   I was just thinking for searing veggies and fish, stir-frying veggies/sauteing (my parents hate the wok), basically I'm looking for something heat-resistant but that doesn't require a lot of fat (or any) or form a crust. I understand that crusts can lead to delicious flavour but we're looking for quick cleanup.   I realize I might be looking for a mystical frying pan but I was just wondering if anyone might know more on the...
Hey there guys!   I was just wondering if anyone knows of any brands of non-stick, non-teflon cookware that can be used at high heat without poisoning anyone or blistering or what not. I've looked around and found some stuff on this coating called Thermolon? I that a possibility? I saw in Gordon Ramsay's "Ultimate Cookery Course" (yes, sorry I just went there) that he uses some odd looking dark pans but when I looked into it all I could find in relation to him were...
Well these developments are interesting, I'll check back every now and then, I have until Christmas to purchase them anyway!  
Thanks John!   The international is a nice possibility, the Kai however I was looking for tax and shipping in, if I'd pick that up it would come out pretty hefty to get it here. Definitely will ponder the internationals though thanks!   As for Jimbo, thanks a bunch I'd totally go for it except for the small quirk that shipping is not free to Canada so I'd get proper gouged between shipping/duties/ etc.     Hmmm
Hey there BDL!   Glad to hear that about the Mercer's I was actually kind of leaning towards them. I'll definitely hit up some local pros and see what they use and where they get'em but most I've talked to use Forschners which don't have the aesthetics desired by my giftees, sadly same is true for the Henckel Yellow Handles.   Hmmmm   I've noticed that everyone is still dodging the two suggestions I brought to the table, the Wusthof and the Calphalon, is...