or Connect

Posts by Casaluz-Chef

I have been where you are and I will not write you a long advice about how different japanese are and how much you need to be aware of... A few other people in this forum can give you very good advice. I have the Masamoto KS and it is absolutely espectacular. I enjoy enormously using it and feeling it in my hand. It has changed the way I use knives (along with the mentioned advice). I cannot imagine that you will find anything you would not love in that knife, although of...
Thank you so much guys, this is helpful
May I impose on your help? I have been thinking about purchasing a mandoline, although having never used one before, I am not sure what should I look for in one. What is worth paying? what features are critical vs desirable? materials and brands? Any thoughts will guide me in learning about it. Thank you.
I use two books at home for bread baking, the first one is "The Secrets of Jesuit Breadmaking" by Fr. Rick Curry S.J. and the second one is Reinhart's "Bread Baker's Apprentice". They are both very helpful, and a pleasure to read. 
  My background is Spaniard, and as such, my cooking is heavily influenced by Mediterranean cuisine, and more than a few hints of Moroccan and Middle Eastern cooking. There are more than a few books that I could recommend; however, if I had to choose only one book, I would choose "The New Spanish Table" by Anya Von Bremzen. As sometimes happens, an outsider view reveals details and texture that we fail to notice when is part of our world. Von Bremzen captures both the...
Thank you so much BDL, yes I can see the use of the cimiter. I will follow up on your advise and contact Jon at JKI. Best.
Wonderful explanation BDL, thank you so much, as well as thank you to JBroida, LennyD, Scoobado97, Iceman, and Carpenter for taking the time to answer.  I do not know what a cimeter so I will do a bit of reading on that.  My petty is 120 mm and it feels short for trimming bone in meat. Reading your post I realize that most of the Serrano Ham I have seen is done "sawing", although I am fairly sure now that it was due to less than sharp knives...I have been re-learning how...
I do not have one which is why I am looking for advise, but these are some of the tasks where I see myself using it: I) Octopus: "Pulpo a Feira" is presented in individual slices of the cooked octopus on top of individual slices of potatoes and sweet paprika on top. II) Serrano Ham. Jamon Serrano is traditionally cut in very thin slices straight out of the leg (bone in) while you are chatting with friends and family and serving tapas in the kitchen for everybody... Iii)...
Where it says "Kayaki" it should say "Kagayaki" from JCK.
Thank you so much guys for the helpful and sensible advise. I do cook very frequently, but not usually Japanese food or Sushi. Most of the recipes I prepare are from Spain. I have begun sharpening my knives with a King 1000 grit stone, and i begun to experiment with a Kayaki petty 120 mm (I bought it after reading BDL's reviews and recommendations), and I am waiting to receive a Kikuichi V10 Gold Steel 240 Gyuto, so it seems the next logical step will be a Sujihiki, after...