or Connect

Posts by austintexican

@phatch: Thanks for the info, very helpful. I'm basically making a a variation of johnny cakes. I've had good success mixing the cornmeal with flour and eggs (very similar to corndog batter), I'm just playing with the idea of making them gluten-free and/or egg-free. Honestly, tho, it might be more hassle than it's worth.lol, that's what I'd like to avoid :P
>It sounds to me like you are looking for a pancake like substance slightly rubbery? Not exactly, just want to be able to form it while warm and have it hold its shape, yet not go all crumbly when people start eating it. Actually, corn dog batter would be an excellent example of this: the cornmeal stays wrapped around the dog as you eat it. Also, that's an interesting recipe, but I'd like to do something simpler. For instance, for corn dog batter I would just add...
Hi all, I'm trying to find a gluten-free, egg-free additive to cornbread batter that will allow me to bend, stretch and form skillet-fried cornbread cakes (ie johnny cakes) without them breaking, much as you would be able to do with a soft pita. They will also need to retain their shape but maintain some elasticity once they cool down. Thanks!
Hi Cycle I just went to the Robot Coupe website and saw some really nice food processors, blenders, and juicers, but I didn't see any mixers. Did I miss something?Also, a couple of weeks ago I was talking to a guy that repairs KitchenAids and other small appliances, and he told me that the older models with the nylon gear are actually the better machine. If the machine is overloaded, the nylon gear will "sacrifice" itself to save the motor, whereas the the newer models...
It does, thank you. I think I might try one of the more light-weight carbons. Please also see my edit in the original post, it clarifies why I'm shopping around. Sorry, I should have been more specific: by "eggs" I meant omelets. Fried and scrambled eggs cook just fine in cast iron, of course, but I find with cast iron I seem to have very little margin of error for omelets (might be my technique), which is why I've been using a heavy-duty non-stick saute pan I found at a...
No worries!
I tried to create a thread yesterday, asking about carbon steel skillets, but it still isn't showing up. I can't find any info in the FAQ, ToS, etc.   Thanks!   EDIT: Nevermind! It's there, just not showing on my recent activity list.
Hi all,   Along with my other cast iron stuff, I have a cast iron "chef's skillet" that's shaped like a saute pan. The only problem, of course, is that it is heavy as hell and doesn't have the fast cool-down/heat-up you get with aluminum or tri-ply stainless steel, so I tend not to use it for fast cooking, easily burned foods, like eggs.   Anyway, I'm interested in trying carbon steel skillets. I'd like to know if they can really hot, like cast iron, but have the...
Thanks!
Hello everyone!   I grew up in the restaurant industry until joining the USAF, then got into the computer industry after I finished that. I'm now a home cook with a big interest in Southwestern cuisines, that is, the foods of Texas (beef bbq, Tex Mex, and country cooking), New Mexico, and what I call "Border Mexican."   I am also in the process of learning the crafts of butchering and charcuterie. I hope to someday open a small butchershop/diner that reflects...