or Connect

Posts by savorychef

Hello Kiyana. I too was concerned about the debt of culinary school. At first I looked at Johnson and wales....40k for a 2 year degree?? I decided to go the jr college route. I am starting my second semester and I am lovin it. Cost 5-6k for a two year degree. Zero if not minimal debt when I graduate. Try to look at community colleges around your town. I don't think that you need the big name big debt university.
Hi PDX . I  looked at J&W but the cost for a two year degree....40k....???? I decided to go the CC route, a two year(AS) degree between 5k-6k. No regrets.
I was/am in a similar situation. I chose a local junior college. It is relatively cheap....about $5k-6k and is a two year degree(AS).  
Hi folks. Yes there is a real void for "true" bbq in my neck of the woods, south fla. What folks here consider bbq is actually grilled not the long smoke it for two days kind of stuff. I have been thinking about buying a small used smoker and just between friends and family, start "bbqing/slow smoking" some pork, meats, chicken....ect and see what they think. I also have some killer sides..so I think..being that I was raised by grandma. Still finishing my culinary...
Hello. I am in Miami, I see many jobs on Miami Beach hiring. Check www.indeed.com a job website. I think Edon Rock and Fountainebleau have job posting for commis chef. Hope this helps.
WOW! Did not know that this thread would get so many responses. Thanks to all who took the time to post, I really appreciate it. I have thought about J&W and yes I know they are mucho expensivo but they are a good school. Now after reading every last one of your posts.....several times I might add, and also doing my own research and coming to my common sense, I have decided to go to a junior college. At 100 bucks per cred and 64 creds for an AS in Culinary Arts...
Thanks to all that responded. I have worked in a restaurant, I was a bartender for one year, it was cantonese. It was the best(fun)  job I ever had. I went in around 1pm and got out usually at 2am....later if it was around a holiday. I worked closely with the kitchen as a matter of fact, I had to go thru the kitchen to get to my station. Again for me it really isn't about the money. I will however take into consideration the cost of culinary school....so far I have...
Hello, I am new to this forum and it is very interesting. Please, I hope noone is upset by my opening question. Since I have been lurking here I have noticed a topic that has come up or discussed, that is the topic of going to culinary school. Please, if I may, let me give a little background of myself. I have always loved to cook, at the age of seven my mom worked nights(single parent) and I would cook for my brothers, yes me 7yrs old in a kitchen. After high...