or Connect

Posts by Jenniflop

hmm. So. I finished the course at ferrandi as well and i just wanted to step in here and say that Neville does bring up some valid concerns--i'm writing this for future students who may stumble across this thread. You can tell him to "grow up" all you want, but be real, after paying so much money, it sucks to be unsatisfied. and the truth is, you can research and research but it's really hard to find info about Ferrandi that isn't on various forums and student blogs, so...
Ditto on the corporations thing, Before i got my current job i worked in foodservice at a large international computer company....it was a good job. came in early but got to leave relatively early too, because most corporate employees don't stay for dinner or work weekends so there is no point in us being there when they weren't there :) we served breakfast and lunch cafeteria-style (still better than what you think of as cafeteria food though) and did some made-to-order...
I agree that a factory edge is not a solid reason, but as someone who has very little real sharpening experience, it would be a lot easier to start with a knife that has a decent edge i can follow, rather than one that needs more complicated work to make it serviceable. All that talk about re-profiling and thinning and whatever else is just beyond me right now. I found out you can get your knife sharpened free the first time at WS, and when I asked about it the sales...
  Ok, I think you're probably right, even though i desperately wish someone would tell me that an olive-wood handled sabatier was the best choice i could make :( I guess y'all agree that I would be better off with an Artifex than a Carbonext? From what i can tell the main advantage to the Artifex (besides being stainless) is the hope it will come with a better edge on it (and as someone who doesn't really sharpen well, to have a good edge that i can follow easily is...
I usually look to amazon as a gauge for things like this. I know that I go there looking to find a price that is competitive or better than what to what i would find in a store, and it is the same in Germany. So....   20cm Wustof Icon on Amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de/W%C3%BCsthof-4596-20-Kochmesser/dp/B000XKFNGI/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1370494460&sr=1-2&keywords=w%C3%BCsthof+ikon EUR 84,96 ---> £71   the same knife on amazon.uk, £92.00 (i'm...
hmm, i'm glad to hear y'all are in support of 10" knives.My station partner looked at me like i was crazy when i asked his advice, and told me that 10" was "way too big" for me, and when I went to WS the lady told me they don't even sell them because no one needs a 10" knife. lol. i'll give it another thought.   There's a lot of things that really attract me to carbon knives, but i think what is most important to me right now is that i get a knife that is...
I work in a very high-end hotel restaurant. This is what i have discovered from working here:: restaurants that can afford it generally try not to burn out their staff. it is not in their favor to do so. Obviously, the majority of the restaurant business is dictated by the long hours and crappy pay you have described, but you have to be on the lookout for the exceptions that will give you the kind of life you truly want. It's possible. they are there. i'm not pastry, but...
I know this is the same old question that gets asked all the time around here, so I kind of hate to ask it.... but after combing through thread after thread and taking in SO much information, I'm still a little mixed up and unsure exactly what to do! So, if you don't mind humoring me with a few more recommendations and pointers, I would really, really appreciate some personalized advice :) thank you SO much in advance!!!!!   I recently graduated from culinary school...
I got my reply! I was accepted as well!! Now I'm hovering somewhere in between excitement and panic. Anyway, off to join Addiiee's FB page!
You've already been accepted?! congrats! I sent my application but haven't heard a peep from anyone! how long did it take for you to hear back??! I'm seriously a nervous wreck from the waiting, so anxious!!  I've been spying on the Feb 2012 group on Facebook lol, looks like they're having an amazing time and have found lots of things to do, and that has been at once reassuring and super exciting! When we get more people together maybe we should start a group there as...