or Connect

Posts by oldarpanet

My roomie wanted to cure meats.  He developed a relation with a local butcher  and then  asked for "curing salt."   The butcher gave him a small amount of "pink" salt for curing meats (and instructions on how to use it). It was either sodium or potassium nitrate  or nitrite.... I'm not sure of the chemistry...  the "recipe"  was a tiny amount of "pink salt" to the pounds or meat.  But much less than the amount of  the Mortons...  Its been three years and we're not dead...
Thanks (and to all the others) for the great suggestions. I like the "make soap" suggestion. I can just see it...what is that scent you are wearing?   Oh, that's my own fish & chips in beer batter soap!   thanks again, all!   Oldarpanet
Thanks for your reply, but I'm asking about when the oil is used up and needs to be replaced.  What do I do with the old oil?   oldarpanet
I'm a home cook and I have never seen an answer to this question re frying oil: What do I do with the oil that has been exhausted and needs to be replaced?  I'll never collect 200 litres to give to a recycler, I won't pour it down the drain, I don't want to bury it in the back yard...  What to do?   thx,   Oldarpanet
I went to a law office one time for some business, when I came out I noticed that across the street was a Japanese restaurant called "SOSUMI"  That was priceless!  
Sounds yummy! When I first saw the description I thought "OMG, lobster risotto Creamsicle!"  But with the small amounts of vanilla & OJ, like I say, it sounds yummy.   thanks,   Dan
mmmmm, lobster...   Do you cook the lobster in the risotto or precook it and fold in at the end?   Dan
Thanks! both of you!   The "4 points" are great.  I especially like the wine step.  That one is new to me.   Do it 2 thirds of the way and quickly cool till needed and do the last bit is brilliant.   (obviously I'm not a chef (or a Chef) by any stretch of the imagination...)   I don't look to Hell's K for how to cook, but was just curious as to how that particular dish was prepared.   In fact I watched it last night and as per usual, Beef Wellington...
I have a question about risotto and its prep.   I watch Gordon Ramsey's shows (Hell's Kitchen etc) and he frequently has risotto as an app. How do you prepare it half-way and hold it until it's ordered to finish it?   Thx,   Dan
I'm running Win7 on a wireless router connected to Comcast cable on a Fujitsu laptop/tablet...   Dan