or Connect

Posts by BobH

I've been negligent about getting back here with an update.  Mia culpa.  I received the HD late last week.  I haven't done a lot with it yet, but the little time I have spent with it has me saying "lovin' it".  It feels much smaller than it's 24cm size.  Nice and light, but I don't find it feeling waif-like at all.  It's pretty much exactly what I was looking/hoping for.  Sharp OOTB, but I'm looking forward to seeing how much better it will get.  The profile is a huge...
Well, CKtG got the western Konosuke HD in stock so I ran out of excuses to procrastinate.  I just pulled the trigger.  Nothing to do now but wait until everything gets to the mailbox in Blaine.  After talking to Mark & Jon, decided to go the freehand waterstones route rather than the EP.  Thanks everyone for all of the input & advice!   Sameguy - have a great trip! 
Deputy,  The 22 knife Shun block will handle a 10" blade without issue.  Actually it'll take up to a 12" blade (might be an 1/8" shy) and might fit your hone as well.  You can pick it up locally at Cookworks & House of Knives for $110-115.  Call first though as they don't have many but can either order it or bring it in from another store.  You can look at an image on CKtG or amazon.com.   Good luck,  Bob
HI Lenny, Wag & Chris,  I appreciate the input.  I have a head cold at the moment and haven't been processing things as well as I'd like.   I did manage to talk to Jon briefly on Saturday.   His enthusiasm is something to behold.  Unfortunately with the aforementioned cold, I felt like I'm in a fog and didn't exactly ask the most insightful questions.  I probably need to circle around again later this week.   Here are my partially formed thoughts at the moment.  The...
BDL.  I'm considering it clarification, although niggles is pretty close too. At my age I better not be a beginner .  I hear you about recommendations and self-validation - its an observation I've made multiple times.  But CT is better than most.  FYI, I've traded notes with Mark so far, but we haven't managed to really connect.  I'm going to try to give Jon a call late this afternoon.  After I talk to them I'll try to articulate a better shortlist.  So far I think it...
Lenny,  I've found that when I make purchases for non-consumables that I like to know I can count on keeping it for 5-10 years before the itch comes back.  For me anyway, I found that less expensive over the long hall. This isn't the sort of thing I want to agonize over every year - as fun as it is.  Besides when I do this there's always the fixed cost (or hassle of) shipping, duty, or the trip across the line that makes small purchases more expensive.  In for a penny,...
BDL,  I had to laugh out loud when I saw your response.  It really put a smile on my face.  I think the only person who's going to say you're full of crap is you.  At least get away with it.   I'm not under time pressures when I cook and already keep the knife straight.  If that's the biggest risk, I think I'm OK with the limitations of a laser.   Let's see if I've got the other limitations right.  Avoid bones (e.g., breaking down chickens) frozen food, really tough...
Hi Lenny.  Sorry for the delay in getting back here.  I saw your post yesterday but needed to read through it a couple of time to get my thoughts in order.  It was one of those, "must think, brain hurts" moments.   Thanks sharing your experiences - that was quite a post!.  Actually I'd already been following your other posts/threads too.   It's funny, I think we're both trying to get to the same place, but with slightly different approaches.   In many ways you're...
brandonkill - Thanks for the answer, I really was curious.   I'm a rightie, so I'm fortunate that if knives come with an asymmetric edge they work for me.
Hey back at you Deputy/Mike,  Nice to hear positive feedback about JCK.  They don't seem to get as much positive mention as some others (not that I've heard anything negative).  I've heard nice things about the Hattori FH - it is in the mix for consideration.  It's kind of tough making a decision without being able to see/touch them in person.  BTW, Blaine is pretty easy for me, I maintain a mailbox there and its an easy trip.  I'm pretty open about what I'm bringing...