or Connect

Posts by SameGuy

LOL. Thanks for concisely writing what I'm already thinking, still brand-new to good knives. :D
I know my FIL used to heat tool steels and irons with a torch to then whack on his anvil, but he did it entirely by feel, no science at all. He had a gift for fixing crap that ought to have ended up in the landfill. I suspect too much heat would affect the HT of the knife, though. Woodworking chisels aren't Japanese kitchen knives! :D
Coincidentally, I went knife shopping in Tokyo on Monday (as I posted about elsewhere), and was interested in a nakiri, possibly a Masamoto as I am very pleased with my KS gyuto.   I wasn't really looking for something specific, but asked my friends at Union Commerce if they had any nice nakiri I could check out. I was presented with a range from cheap to expensive, a name I did not recognize in tool steel for ¥5000 (about $65) to a Masamoto KK in white #2 with...
That's a good question, Luis, I hope someone comes along with a set of answers or opinions. I'm glad you asked it, too, because I respect your pedigree. I'm entirely new to Japanese knives as well as proper sharpening, so I have similar questions. My Masamoto KS gyuto was already what I would call extremely sharp OOB when I played with it at the shop, but I got the shop to polish up the edge for me as part of the sale. Using it at home for the first time, I think I could...
I was on Kappabashi-dori yesterday (Monday afternoon) before heading to the hanami festivities at Ueno Koen. Even if you are not shopping for a specific knife, Kappabashi is worth half a day on its own while you are in Tokyo. The weather was perfect, 70 and sunny, and the street was lively, packed with foreigners and locals alike.   This time I only had time to stop by my now-favorite shops, Union Commerce and Tsubaya. I wound up leaving UC with a blue 2 steel...
Deputy, thanks for the data points. I think my next knife will be a suji.
Thanks again for the information you all so readily share. I love how BDL goes to great pains to explain his pragmatic ideas and ideals in the most logical way possible, while at the same time not dismissing the opinions of others. I may still want a knife with a very specific (and limited) set of functions -- perhaps more for its aesthetics or possibly for expanding my own skill set -- but I will surely concentrate on my core set and sharpening skills first.
I was going to splurge on a "good" bread/serrated knife when I joined the various food forums' knife sections looking for advice. I wound up getting a $9 KAI Pure Komachi 2 stamped Chinese steel "bread" knife. LOL But investigating led me to the wonderful world of Japanese cutlery, and dare I say it, I'm hooked. I may still get the Tojiro ITK bread knife with which ThEoRy (PCC Kitckens) makes magic, but honestly this little orange Komachi is wicked sharp and perfect for...
I'll chime in now. I just spoke to Mark and told him I was considering the EP/Chosera "Full Monty" kit along with an EP/Atoma 140 and the 12" Idahone, mostly because I'd kind of like near-instant gratification and don't have time to make a hobby of sharpening. I did not expect him to down-sell me, but after I told him my needs he suggested starting out with the Apex 3 and adding stones to it later. I asked about the polishing tapes (included in the Apex 4 kit) and he...
That is exactly what I've found in the first week of using my Masa 270! But I'm loving it. The extra size is only somewhat intimidating the first time, but at the same time I'm re-teaching my hands and right arm proper technique by being more careful with the extra length and blade height.