or Connect

Posts by romanas

Honestly saying, I afraid that most of good knives in this word share the fate of these hattori. Sooner or later.   When I look around, I see that lots of people get j-knives without any idea on how to care about them. It's shame, but it's business. Makers and distributors of j-knives need to keep sales.
  Thanks! I was working with all knives at more or less the same time, so it's hard to tell how much time it took to repair one knife. I think that basic repair (reprofiling, removing rust and sharpening) didn't take much time. Something around 1-1,5 hours per knife.   But all project took much more time due to polishing and etching. I was etching knives for the firs time, so it took a lot of time to buy chemicals, take all necessary precautions, etch, clean everything,...
  Большое спасибо.        Thanks!
Might be of interest to someone.   A couple of years ago a friend of mine received three knives a gift. Petty, carver and suji. Unfortunately, he didn't know anything about j-knives and didn't even imagine their value. So he put knives in a kitchen and his wife used them, let say, quite liberally. Hard bones, frozen foods, can opening - these knives saw everything. And the only "care" was a dishwasher.      After about an year, when knives were in a terrible...
  You are absolutely righ about rye bread, pickles and thin slicing. :)    It wasn't easy to find recipe in english, but this one ( http://cassiopaea.org/forum/index.php?topic=29124.0 ) looks fine. It's very basic, but it will work. I would add that the best fat for salo is fat back. Also, I would note that pork has to be thoroughly inspected (trichinae free), but apparently everybody remember this point without my reminders. :))))    There are a lot of different ways to...
Well, I understand your point. But I really afraid that the way of finding out regional differences will be full of disappointments. :)   In the past, somewhere around beginning of XX century, there were much more diversity, but major part of it has vanished during XX century.    Anyway, if you'll let me know a couple of particular regions that are interesting to you, maybe I will be able to provide some information about cuisines of these regions....
Some yellow curry.          
Hi Slayertplsko,   It's very nice to see your interest and it's quite impressive that you have Molokhovets's book. :)     When talking about russian regional cuisines, some people talk about cuisine of russians living in a given region. While other people talk about cuisine of other ethnic groups, living in this particular region. All this usually causes lot's of misunderstandings - we should always remember that russians are the biigest ethnic group in Russia,...
I've done a small test yesterday. I've prepared 3 samples of forcemeat (70% lean beef and 30% pork backfat):   First one was chilled in freezer almost to freezing point, grinded in very cold grinder (I kept it in freezer for few hours), mixed thoroughly until development of stickiness. Temperature of this forcemeat didn't exceed 4-5C (40F) during all making process.   Second one was chilled a little bit in refrigerator to about +10C (50F), grinded in a warm...
By the way, I've read a number of Pate et Terrine recipes and it seems that nobody uses USDA Ready-To-Eat tables (http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oppde/rdad/fsisnotices/rte_poultry_tables.pdf)... And I have no idea why.   For example, M. Ruhlman writes that they cook Pates with poultry to 71C (160F) and pates with pork to 65C (150F), measured with an instant-read thermometer inserted to the center of pate. M. Ruhlman even writes that he prefer pork liver over chicken liver...